Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp is making a scary sound =(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    When I play the first fret on the D or A strings, it lets out a loud "AAARRRNN" computer sound. It also lets it out on some other notes on the A and D strings. I play a MIM Fender J out of a Ampeg 210 SP, maybe the effects unit on the amp is wack?

This is making me sad, as the amp is pretty new.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some Fender guitar amps do this too. It has something to do with the power transformers; I think when certain frequencies at certain high volumes are pushed through the amp, the amp itself added a note to the original tone. Fender guitar geeks chalk this up to the inherant funky tone of the amp, but I don't think your amp is supposed to do that. Take it back.

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    sounds like you have not had a good experience all told with this ampeg combo...i hope you can at least exchange it and re-coup what you paid...i would get the ba-115 if i were you.

-erik

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You might be overdriving the DSP section of the amp.

Try turning down the "volume" control a little and make up for it with the "level" control.

5. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This seemed to work, well, another varation anyhow. I had the level control punched to max, turning it down took away the wierd sound. Except I got it some on the G-String first fret, so I fiddled with the controls some more and it went away. It's odd that it's only on the first frets, maybe it's the bass?

And I was considering taking the amp back or exchanging it, but I got it from guitar center in early March. I don't think they'd take it back now.. :/ Esp since I threw away the box :( But I HATE guitar center, I want to take it bakc with or without the noise because the clerk selling me the combo assured me I could add an extension cab when I asked. And it turns out, I CAN'T.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I doubt that GC cares about the box...they would want the manual and any other items that came with the amp. It's still early April so give it a try...just be cool and reasonable and talk to the manager if you need to.

7. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Ack, it's still making the sound. My friend who plays guitar says it sounds like it is "Bogging out". My dad, who helped me pay for it said that we can't return it and it's a good amp. But he dosn't know what he's talking about and probably dosn't want to go through the trouble of trying to get them to take it back. Which IS the case, ugh.

It's only on the high frets (IE: The first) it makes the sound. The sound can be described as the sound a large table would make pushing against a wood floor. It made the same sound on one of the effects, I think it was the overdrive one. But I never used it because it was useless and just made this terrible sound.

8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    you can definitely bring it back if it's defective...ampegs have 5 year warranties.

have you tried it yet with another bass? to make sure it's the mp - not the bass...

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How new is your bass? Have you had it set up (or set it up yourself)? There is a good guideline at www.mrgearhead.com

Since all the noise seems to occur in conjunction with fretting notes at the first fret, perhaps the second fret is high or the nut is too low.

Where are you located?

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I think it's time to borrow or hire another amp for a day. This will effectively single out the culprit. If it's the bass, it will make the sound regardless of which amp you play through. If it's your amp, take it back as a warranty claim.

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What do you mean?? The fret by the pickps (High), or the fret by the tuners (First). If you mean by the pickups, you may be hitting the pickup itself with the string....