My amp is not a beer rest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ga_edwards, Sep 26, 2000.

1. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    If there's one thing that annoy's me about the design of the average bass combo tp the average guitar combo, is the top of the amp is normamly flat, no knobs, no switched, nothing. This always makes it prone to people using it as an extra table in the pub to put thier beer on. Obviously when I'm not playing, either when sharing a gig, or just going to the bar/loo, I'm not always able to stay by my gear the entire night. As soon as I turn my back, there's 5 pints racked up on it, leaving disgusting ring's and spillage marks all over it. The only way roub=nd it I found, it to lay my coat or similar on it, but this usually ends up chucked on the floor. Does anyone else have this problem, what do you do about it, short of outbursts of strong language.?
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Sometimes....we have to make things VERY clear to other people. That may include LONG outbursts of strong language.:)
    One way, or another though....get the message out that you will NOT tolerate it. And if you do find a drink on your amp...toss it out and make sure the person knows why. If people get their drinks tossed...they'll stop it.:)
  3. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000

If it's another player, tell him once, and give him his drink back.[​IMG]

If it happens again, say nothing and put the drink on his instrument (very funny if it's a drummer or keyboard player).[​IMG]
    Final and spectacular step is to pour his drink into a bucket "just to put it to a safe place" (Saxes are excellent buckets!)[​IMG]

If the drink comes from the audience, proceed straight to step 3.

In my experience it's best to have a strict "no unsecured drinks on stage" policy. Closed bottles out of everybody's moving space are ok, open bottles near voltage outlets are not, drinks above ground level without cupholders or similar definitely are not. If you ever stepped on broken glass on stage you'll know what I mean.

No guns, no knives, no glasses, no chainsaws on stage![​IMG]
  4. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    This is my solution to this very common problem. Although not recomended by me personally, I have found it very effective. If I find someones drink sitting on the back of my amp, I simply use their drink for an ashtray!! The first mouthful of ashes usually cures the problem!! Crude, but effective.

(DISCLAIMER: If you are currently a non-smoker, DO NOT start smoking if you wish to employ this method. Smoking is a filthy habit. Besides, it makes you smell like a tar factory. Quit before you ever start.)
  5. I just spilled beer down the front of my Eden cabinet for the first time last week! Not too much beer, but I was momentarily horrified.
    I've had people put drinks and ashtrays on top of my rack case, and anything I find there immediately goes into the nearest trash can. That usually gets the message across.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Like most everybody else, have been there and done that. Now on all our gigs we have Tim. For 20 Bucks a night his job is to secure the stage (of course he is 6'7" and 275lbs)and that soved our problem pretty effectively, well worth the 20 we pay him.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  8. Years ago I had a beer poured into m PV bass mark 6 it had a grill on top for ventilation, the drunkard told me it would be OK when it dried. The band decided to let him live but collected a $300.guarantee from the idiot and told him if the amp worked he'd get his money back. He didn't, but I got a new amp and the beer stained one went to where all broken bass amps go, the pawn shop. Now I play small gigs and use a stand that turns the flat top into a slant top. Or there is the R&R gig in very bad places and the amp belongs to the band and at 6'2" 375 I'm the little guy, nope not an issue.