My amp is Possessed!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Aug 12, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well I have a small little dean combo amp that I use at home and the other night i was playing through and I started hearing voices. Little Creepy. After a few mins trying to figure out what I was hearing I noticed it was coming through my amp. I left my amp on and unplugged my bass, still had voices coming through, sounded like an economics radio show, anything like this ever happen to anyone else with a small crappy little combo amp?
  2. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    your picking up RF....
  3. I've picked up religous talk shows on a stand up bass plugged into a combo before. Surprisingly good reception.
  4. I'm not sure which amp it was, but on a few occasions my friend's guitar amp was picking up a German radio station. Talk about strange...
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    make sure you are using an "instrument" cable and not a "speaker" cable. they can look the same, but each has a specific design for its use. if you use a speaker cable for your guitar you can pick up radio stations because it is NOT "shielded" and if you use a instrument cable for a speaker cable you can "short" out the electrical flow if you pump too many watts through it. most cables should say "instrument" or "speaker" cable on the side of the wire, at least in the US.
  6. Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    ya this happened to me with my old Ibanez combo... weird :eyebrow:
    and yes I was using instrument cable
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    was the guitar electronics properly shielded?
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. dude thats not a radio station. your amp really is possessed. here's what you do. just pick up the phone and call your local ghostbuster squad. they'll know what to do, and they'll suck em up through this cool little vacuum thing.
  10. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Or get Linda Blair on the phone and see if she can find you an exorcist... :bag:
  11. The cheapest thing to try is go to Radio Shack and get a ferriet choke that will fit on your power cord. Once installed it should filter out most RF. They are about 7.00 US and a cheap fix. my Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 was doing the same thing receiving cb transmissions and the choke worked for me.
  12. Our guitarist has an old strat with a dodgey mid pickup that couple with his old valve amp picks up some spanish radio station. We actually used that live for a solo once, fed it though a wah and delay pedal with some fuzz. It was pretty cool :) Tom Morello does that at the end of a song I cannot quite remember.
  13. Its a witch, you know what we do to witch's, burn them!

Just watch it doesnt turn you into a newt
  14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    *Imagines little amp sitting there going 'I'm not a witch, they dressed me like this, this isn't even my real nose!'*

Heh :p
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Ferrets will never work. You need a preacher. Preferably one that's used to handling snakes;)
  17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    With my old Roland I got KFWB news 980AM in Los Angeles. On my old portable TV I could pick up phone calls. :)