1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MY AMP IS TALKING TO ME!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ben Berd, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Ben Berd

Ben Berd

Dec 8, 2011
    Nottingham Pa
    I plugged my bass in, turned on my amp, and all of a sudden I was hearing someone speaking Spanish. I figure I was picking up radio with my bass. Has this happened to any of you guys? Or am just insane? :bag:

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    that's what happens when you smoke good herb.

(just kidding, you're picking up a radio signal, either thru your amp or your pickups)

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I used to get taxi company dispatch calls coming through my rig in one town I used to play in. I had a Yamaha wireless system at the time - so that was definitely the culprit. It only happened at that one venue though.

4. My amp did this on more than one occasion, including a bizarre incident where my amp started speaking Urdu.

5. Oh,yeah. That happens all the time around here,with all the logging/coal trucks driving around talking on their CB's.

6. Ben Berd

Ben Berd

Dec 8, 2011
    Nottingham Pa
    Ok, so im not insane.(P.s. there were no illegal drugs related to this experience)

7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    My old Crate guitar amp was [tuned] on the Mexican Radio.

8. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    Your amp is possessed. Call a priest.

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    My Gallien-Kruger speaks german.

10. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    My cell phone comes through my EMG's if I hold it close enough. Are you using shielded instrument cables? That should take care of most radio frequency interferance, but clearly not all, as it seems plenty of people have had the same issue.

11. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    When my band was doing some rough recordings my bass amp apperantly picked up a radio station. So when we went back to listen to the song we could hear a mattress store commercial before the bassline came in:p We got a good laugh out of it:p

Oh and I found out that if I have my phone playing music then hold the speaker up to a pickup magnet, the music will play through the bass and into the amp haha.

12. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I picked up police chatter in my car once for about a full minute.

13. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    If these kinds of things happen someone is violating the allotted frequency spectrum for their use. Not much can be done about it though so I guess you just have to deal.

14. I want my amp to talk dirty to me.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My first practice amp, I kept trying to play prog rock and all it would give me was country-western.

16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've had a few apartments in Meadville, PA. and I would always pick up one of local country music stations, no matter which amp I used. It was actually a really good way to keep me on top of the wheather.

17. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    It's all good so long as you don't start talking back.;)

18. German radio is what we get around here...one of my bandmates used to pick it up fairly often - then at the studio last weekend we suddenly got German radio coming through the amp whilst trying to get some guitar feedback lol...it didn't go through the recording gear but it picked it up through the mic'ed up amp lol

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Used to play in an old church converted to a music hall. When we would take a break I would get this real fire and brimstone preacher through my amp just loud enough to hear if you were standing right in front of my amp. it was a local religious radio station bleeding through.

20. thedeadmelon

thedeadmelon

Dec 2, 2008
    The guitarist in my old band always picked up Spanish speaking radio. I guess amps prefer Spanish!