my amp is....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    .......picking up radio signals. Its when I have my wah wah on. It picks up AM. :meh:
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    make sure you are using "shielded" instrument cables between guitar>pedals and preamp.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    In addition to shielded cables, are all of the jacks (on the instrument, pedal, amp) tight. An incomplete ground could give rise to this problem too...
  4. tomg

Mar 15, 2004
    You wah-wah pedal is most likely the culprit. It makes a half-decent tuner, in a desert island scenario... so do the two I've owned (crybabys), as well some others I've used. Reception varies from nil to quite annoying depending on locale. The tips on shielded cabling and proper grounding can't hurt, but - at least in my case - it doesn't get rid of the radio. You might try different wah pedals out to see if any designs are less suspectible.

PS: My MXP Phase 90 pedal comes in second on this property.
  5. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    This used to happen to my amp also only because the local radio station planted their antenna on top of the building that I lived in! So it wasn't just my bass amp it was coming out. Include computer speakers, radio speakers (when not on the radio), everything!
  6. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Yeah, it kinda sucks.

This is what Jim Dunlop's FAQ says...

"This is a common occurrence because the inductor in the Wah pedal acts as an antenna. When you are in an area with a lot of radio frequency, the pedal can and will pick up the stations. It is not very easy to troubleshoot and fix, because it differs so greatly due to the different signals and the different surroundings. What might work in one region may not work in another.

The first step in troubleshooting is to find out where the signal is coming in from.

First check to see if it is coming in through the AC Adapter. Use the effect with a battery and see if it is coming in through the wall. If it is, discontinue the use of the AC Adapter. If this doesn't work, then...

Second, check to see if it is coming in through the guitar. Turn the volume of the guitar down to zero and see if you still get the radio signal. If yes, you might want to try putting a .0068 microfarad capacitor on the input jack between the tip and the shaft. (The capacitor can be a ceramic or polyester type and voltage rating of any size works.) This will also kill the high end of your sound. If this doesn't work, then...

Third, check the inductor. If you have a metal inductor, you can purchase a shield from us and place it over the inductor with a ground wire that is placed under one of the PCBoard screws. This acts as both an AC Hum and RF shield. (It is part number ECB99 - and lists for $12.00) If this doesn't work then...

Fourth, open up the pedal and unsolder the black wire from the pot. Slide some Ferrite beads onto the wire and resolder it. The size, number and shape of the beads depends upon the signal that you are getting, and honestly, we have not found any rhyme or reason as to which beads work with which signals. If this doesn't work then...

Fifth, wrap the entire wire harness in Mumetal foil, which comes in a tape format, and hope that that works, because after that who knows!

Getting radio stations on your wah pedal is unfortunately, the nature of the beast, and has been that way since its inception. In some areas it is worse than others. It is especially bad in the great lakes region because the lakes act as large antennas sending out the radio signals to all areas - and all wah pedals."