My amp issues seem to be getting more complicated

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Right now I use an Ampeg SVT II Pro through an SWR Son of Bertha and an Aguilar 112. It seems as though this combination of cabinets really doesn't do my Ampeg justice. I finally got to try an old SVT and the cabinet was a custom made Bergantino 610. It was by far the loudest sounding amp I've ever played. It made my rig seem pathetic and tiny. I imagine some of this has to do with the fact that the old SVTs were just louder than the new ones. However, I can't help but think that if I had an 810 with my cabinet then it's massive intended character would come out. My issue is this: I'm not getting an 810. I don't have the space and what's more, I don't like the way 10s sound. I'm totally sold on 12s.

What I'd like, is to have a head that can run at 8 ohms and will sound good with my Aguilar 112 alone. My SVT II Pro just doesn't really work for that purpose. I've been seriously considering an Aguilar DB 359 because it's a little smaller, supposedly sounds great, and I just love tube amps. But then I started thinking? As much as I like the sound of an all tube amp, I also like a nice tight bottom end for staccato type fingerstyle funk playing. Is there an all tube amp out there that will provide the tightness and clarity I want?

If not I'll have to go with a hybird amp, in which case I'm left with several choices. The other thing I'm considering is getting a Bergantino 112. I tried one recently, and although I didn't get to compare it side by side with my Aguilar, I got the senswe that it was much better, and could handle a ton of power. I also tried that new cabinet Bergantino came out with, the one with 2 12s and a 10. I actually liked the single 112 better. It seemed to suit my playing very well.

Anyways, any advice or guidence that anyone could give me is much apreciated. Thanks.
  2. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I guess EBS Fafner or TD650 would be "best of both worlds". It can be very clean and tight or gritty and distorted and everything between depending on the amount of tube overdrive used. It is quite moderately powered at 8 ohms but will go down to 2 ohms.

You could also try different cabs with your current head.