1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My amp muffled/distorted HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The1bassist06, May 8, 2010.

1. Well first off the amp that i have is a AMPEG BA115T. This just happened about 15 mins ago. Me and my friend were jammining out and then i turned my amp off. So then my friends little brother decides to sit on it. Well it has that stupid tilt back feature and when he stood up my amp fell over. I thought it would be perfectly fine. So then i went to play it and whenever i hit a note it sounds like its kinda of distorted or muffled. Like what happens if you got the volume turned up way to loud. Note that i know i didnt blow the speaker cuz i havent played on it on a higher volume then 4. Anyone know what could be wrong with it and how i can fix it? O and it only seems to happen when i hit low notes or turn my bass up.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The driver could be blown, dropping it can cause the magnet to fracture.

3. How much would that cost and can you explain more what the driver is?

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Could also be something's come loose inside the amp.

Could also be a cracked etch (aka "trace") on a circuit board.

Could be the tube took a hit, too. Tubes don't like physical abuse. With the amp on, GENTLY tap the tube with a chopstick or something of similar size in wood or plastic. NOT METAL. Also make sure the tube didn't fall halfway out. I assume it has a retainer but check anyway.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    driver = speaker.

unfortunately no one here has x-ray vision, particularly over the net. there are a ton of thing that could be wrong with it. tech time.

PS - don't go opening it up and having a look around - there are things in there that can hold a charge even with the amp unplugged that can do unpleasant things like kill you.

6. So im guessing im gonna have to get a new speaker? I was trying to play on it again and all the notes sound like there distorted.. Its not any quieter or anything

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, it needs to go see an amp tech. There is no other option here.

8. More than likely it's a blown speaker, but it could be as simple as a loose wire. I agree with RickenBoogie, take it someone who knows what there doing so you don't cause further damage.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A driver is that metal thingy inside a speaker that makes it work. Semantics perhaps, but it's the only way from an engineering standpoint to know which one is referring to, the complete unit or said thingy.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    true, my bad. didn't want to over tech the guy. i suppose next you'll tell me that driver and a race car are actually two separate thingies too! :p