1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Amp Rig Phobia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shibby!, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    it's like this i'm thinking about purchasing the
    trace elliot Ah-1200 but i'm afraid as soon as i spend a fortune on the head and cabs trace elliot will bring out an even better head or cab...advice?

2. PauliePower

PauliePower

Dec 9, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Your fears are justified, but am sorry to say that amp manufacturers WILL bring out better models. Just buy whatever you want now, and upgrade later if needs be. Although you can't really go wrong with Trace Elliot.

3. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Advice is to buy second hand. You lose less money when you want to sell stuff on.

S.P.

4. I had that very same issue. :)

When I went to get my Eden Rig, before the endorsement, I freaked about everything. So I bought the METRO. Great sound...but could not hold a big room (no FOH). I bought a 210xst. Now that was a great sound.

Then the endorsement came. :) I purchased a 410XLT, after much talk here and at the Eden forums, and a WT800C. I haven't seen/heard anything that I like better since ... and that has been three years ago. Yes I played the Little Mark stuff, Ampeg stuff, even the Acoustic stuff (nostalgia from my high school years)...but nothing came up to the sound that I love.

So, find the one you love the sound, or lack of coloring, of and go there. Make it as versatile as possible (ins/outs, eq, etc.). You should be fine.

Then do the killer talking session until you get the price you are comfortable with. :)

Freeze

5. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    i guess you guys are right and good advice but do you think i should at least wait until namm next year so i don't lose out on there new amp which will probly be able to stop time and automatically turn down my guitarist

6. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    and how likely is trace elliot likely to bring out a new and better amp head by next year

7. One of their techs said that the WEREN'T jumping on the micro-amp bandwagon anytime soon in an interview...if that helps at all....

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You can wait forever and never buy anything. There will always be something better in the future.

How likely is TE to bring out something next year? Almost certainly, if they want to continue selling new product. The same can be said of every manufacturer: cars, computers, televisions.

Nobody here is going to answer that question. Even if anyone here works for TE, they cannot discuss unannounced products.

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    There's cats on here who play through 40 year old rigs.

Buy a reliable amp you like the sound of and mature together.

The tried and true often trumps the latest & greatest.

If one really wants to hear something new in one's sound, then take a few lessons.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Buy used gear with high resale value and play it safe :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's definitely some wisdom in that. And yet I just can't help buying a certain percentage of new stuff ;)

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Guitar Center was telling me that Trace Elliot's "AH" gear was selling so horribly, that they halved the prices all of it. This came up when I tried to sell my AH 500-7 back to them and they gave me next to nothing for it. Keep in mind that I bought it for $1049 on a sale day (10% off). When I went for the trade in - $350 was all they could do no matter the condition.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...H100012-1000W-Bass-Amplifier-Head-?sku=480093

Are you referring to this head? Have you played it before? Trace seems to be phasing this entire product line out at the moment. If you still want it, head to Guitar Center and see iof you can order this model for much lower price than $1600. It's a good head overall, but there are so many choices out there. How much gear have you tried?

13. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    i have tried mesa/boogie,eden,hartke,ampeg and gallien kruegar but liked the trace the best

14. Thought you were signed to a label, and money was no object ?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508640&highlight=

Now you are even willing to wait until NAMM :eyebrow:

15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Shibby!

Excellent! You used your ears to decide on an amp brand. :)

Now it's a matter of deciding which T-E amp model to get, and which cab(s).

If you're thinking of buying one cabinet to start and matching it with a head which has the wattage to drive two cabs effectively (for possible future expansion if/as your bass amp needs grow), you may want to read this first:

BTW. Downloading and studying the owner's manuals for any amps which you may be getting is a good way of comparing different amp models AND ensuring that you don't accidentally damage your chosen amp through misuse. :crying:

To obtain a Trace-Elliot amplifier owner's manual, click an amp model on the Current Product Catalogues page, and then from the pop-up window, click a selection under 'Owner's Manual' to download the .pdf version of said manual.

I will now conclude by asking you to read the quote in my sig. :D

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The inevitable up-staging of whatever we buy is a constant of any technology -- cell phones, computers, etc.

No sooner did I buy a Micro 300 than EA came out with an even more powerful one. But here is how I worked it out: I am confident that I figured out what I wanted, the old amp still satisfies my original criteria, my gigging situations have not changed, and I have gotten lots of gigs out of the amp.

Also, I bought the Micro second-hand. :D

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1

I don't buy any gear unless I can preview the specs and owners manual online.

18. Shibby!

Shibby!

Jan 8, 2009
    i read the manualand thx for the advice, and is trace really selling that badly is that good or bad for...like could they possibly shut down again?

19. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Trace Elliot is eliminating the 500 & 1000 watt amps because they're replacing them with 600 and 1200 watt amps.

20. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Trace-Elliot is owned by Peavey, I believe, and given T-E's brand recognition (especially in Europe), I can't see why Trace-Elliot would be dropped.

But then, I was shocked when I saw a McDonald's go under. :eek: