my amp set up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moma Jones, Aug 13, 2003.

1. I`m runnig a peavey cirrus five string bass into there firebass head 475 watts @ 4 ohm into a mesa powerhouse cab 410+115
    I find that i cant compete volume wise with a drummer
    I almost positve everything is in workin order
    The cab is brand new (I unpacked it myself)
    I`m using a 12awg 1/4 inch speaker cable and a planet wave cord and both are brand new
    The 9 volts are both energiser and also brand new
    What else could it be?
    or should i start shoppin for new gear.
    I`m trying to compete witha mesa dual and a heavy handed drummer.:bassist:
  2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Does your rig seem loud during sound check or when you are playing by yourself? If so you might want to try to roll off some of the lows from your amp and boost you mids. This will cut through a little more. Or if you are in a live situation and you are in the PA you might get some bass back through the monitors. A lot of sound guys don't like running bass through their monitors though. The only other thing I can think of is that you may be too close to your speaker cabs. If the stage or practice area is deep enough you should try to be at least 6 ft away. Let the sound get to your ears and not just hit you in your ass.
  3. Thanks I do stand back
    It never competes at shows like small halls the crowd always say they cant hear me
    The red led on the firebass comes on and it makes me nervours cause I don`t want to push the amp into distortion cause thats when speakers go pop, I get a headache and my wallet gets light
    So I`m looking to prevent that
    If you think I need a bigger rig I could sell this gear well it is still in working order or maybe try to correct the problem
    Would another cab help or is the head the problem
    I dont think its the bass
    Thanks for all your help:confused:
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    what would complete that cab would probably be a mesa 400+. 300 W, all tube, from what i hear it his amazing, volume wise and tone wise.
  5. Is the mesa 400+ Three hundred watts or five hundred as in their website
    What is the price?
    Why this head?
    Will this make a difference in volume even with the same cabinet?
    Any other options/opinions I would like to hear anything even if it`s that I`m an idiot and I shouldnt be playing bass.
  6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    First things first:

How do you have your eq set on the amp and on the bass?
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    assuming that you are not jamming the bass on your bass or amp
    i think your main problem is lack of way does that firebass put out 475 at 40 hz
    i would sugest looking into a pre/power amp setup with a plx or stewart power amp
    that cab is a great one, although my fave was the original 1x15, 1x10, 2x6, and a bullet tweeter all in one cab by mesa
  8. To ihixulu
    My eq is
    Pre 4 master 5
    Bass +8 db @ 4 hz
    Mid -7or8 db @ 900 Hz or there so about
    tre +5 db @ 7 kHz
    I leave the eq on my bass flat (just about)
    Would it be better to use the bass eq? and not the amps
    I know if I cranked the bass it would suck all the power from the low B
    To Mike
    As far as a pre/power setup goes
    Whats good?
    I looked at avalon U5 pre and a bryston amp
    Money is not a issue (to a point)
    I would like to stay under $1500 U.S. if possible but want a GOOD LOUD sound
    I`m from canada so it has to be available up here
    Again thanks
  9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You've got a pretty extensive smiley face eq going on there (good amount of boost on the bass and treble, huge cut on the mids) which is going to make it difficult for you to cut through.

Try this, next time at practice, for the heck of it: set your amp's eq flat, the contour at 12 o'clock and crank it. It should sound stupid loud. Now, using the mid eq only, cut the frequency that bothers you the most (turn the mid level all the way down and turn the mid-shift until you get something you like). You may want to add back a little of the mid level to even out the tone a bit.

Thing to keep in mind is that if you have a good sounding tone when you play by yourslef, in many if not most cases you'll probably get buried once the guitar player with the dual or triple recto shows up.

Ultimately it depends on wehat kind of tone you're after, you may need to go to a 2kW system if you have to have pristine smiley eq at loud level. For a rock tone that cuts through,475W through your cab should be plenty.
  10. Sounds Great
    But I`m losing the "fill out" on the low B
    My four sounds great
    Would a 215 mesa be any help
    If I got a 4 ohm I could get 700 watts out of the head
    Or should I get another powerhouse 1000
    What about Bi amping
    Any thoughts that can just give me bottom that kicks in the chest like the bass drum
    Like I said I would like to be loud sounding good
    Maybe a compressor
    Any help is realy appreciated
    I have 2 old peavey black widows
    How can I Build a box size/weight/ports?
    Should I use them as opposed to a new mesa 215?
  11. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Do you know the sensitivity and frequency response of your cabinets?

It may be that your cabinets are not designed for the low B (around 30hz). That may be why you are boosting your lows on your amp.

Usually cabinets that produce good lows are either 1)large and heavy or 2) not very loud.

If you want to be heard over loud bandmates with your current setup without clipping, you might want to try to cut the lows and boost the Low Mids.
    The low knob on a Firebass is a 40hz boost - if your cabinets are not designed for producing 40hz then this may be what is eating most of your power.
    Try turing the Mid Shift knob to 200hz and boost the Mid Frequency. - Do not boost the Low frequency.

If you have another poweramp, you could try biamping. The Firebass has a built-in crossover.
    You probably want to use the larger of the two amps for the lows (either the poweramp or firebass head).
    Lets say you have a 100-watt poweramp sitting around. You would use this for the highs and the Firebass head for the lows. I would set the crossover frequency somewhere between 100hz - 150hz.

Firebass -> Crossover Low-Out -> FireBass Power Amp-In
    --------------->Crossover Hi-Out -> Other Amp In
  12. Should I use the bi-amping capabilties of the cabinet or get a 215 (MESA or peavey?)and run the lows into them and the highs in to the 410+115 MESA
    Culd I run the mesa 410+115 full range and the 215 just lows under 100 Hz
    How would I go about doing this
    Would there be any phase problems
    I again thank everyone for there help
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i couldnt answer your e-mail directly for some reason so here goes

overall i have found that you can get more wattage from power amps (such as the light weight and beloved by talkbass members stewart 1.6 and 2.1 amps and the qsc plx series) than you can get from regular integrated bass guitar "heads"
    also, there are many fine preamps on the market which sound wonderful (e.g., alembic, demeter, kern, etc)
    if your head has a preamp out jack on the back you can always send that signal to a seperate power amp and your head will function as a preamp only (i did this for years)
    but you may find heads by other manufacturers rated for the same wattage as yours, but which are considerably louder
  14. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    To Biamp, you need 2 poweramps, a crossover and at least 2 speakers.

You already have 1 poweramp (built into the Firebass head) and a crossover (also built into the Firebass). You also have 2 speakers.
    You will need an additional poweramp to biamp.
    The second poweramp does not need to have as much power if you use it for the highs.
    You may even want to borrow an Amp to try biamping to see if you like it.

One reason to biamp is to get more clean volume out of your speakers by reducing the frequencies they are producing.
    For example: Cutting the Lows out of your 4x10 will allow it to get much louder before distorting.

Setup #1 - requires another poweramp
    Firebass -> Crossover Low-Out -> FireBass Power Amp-In -> Firebass Speaker Out -> 1x15 cabinet
    --------------> Crossover Hi-Out -> Other Amp In -> Amp Speaker Out ->4x10 cabinet

Setup #2 - requires another poweramp and 2x15 cabinet
    Firebass -> Crossover Low-Out -> FireBass Power Amp-In -> Firebass Speaker Out -> 2x15 cabinet
    --------------> Crossover Hi-Out -> Other Amp In -> Amp Speaker Out -> 4x10 cabinet and 1x15 cabinet
  15. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I made a lot of people angry here at Talkbass with a posting I did quite some time ago questioning why in the world people would want the huge, multi thousand watt amps. I even spoke with the folks at Mesa regarding this, and they do not make a bass amp over 600 watts – as they feel that is plenty enough power for any gig that does not include a huge P.A. designed to support the bass.

I personally have an M-Pulse 600, running through a Mesa 15 & a 4x10 (so essentially the same cab setup). I have NEVER turned it up past 10 o’clock. Recently I played an outdoor gig with no P.A. support, and was perfectly audible. I am getting a little more poop, as my cabs are running together at 4 ohms (The M-Pulse pushes 600 watts @ 4 ohms) but it should not make THAT big of a difference.

I am totally with ihixulu, in that you have some E.Q. issues holding you back. On thing to point out that ihixulu did not is your Pre-Gain. Turn that bad boy up! Keeping it on a mere “4” setting will require your amp to work a heck of a lot harder to amplify the signal. Granted, this may drastically affect you tone, but part of good tone is cutting through, and the preamp gain is the KEY to cutting through.

One issue that I would assume about 98% of us who post here must face is that we are not multimillion-dollar a year rock stars with sound guys, roadies, and long haul rigs full of sound gear. Those guys can get booming tone that you can really feel 100 yards off of the stage. We are poor and have to haul our own stuff. So, we have compromise and go for tone that makes you “think” you can feel it. Cranking up those Low Mids, pulling down the bass, and boosting your preamp will create the sound pressure that affects your listener’s ears. It may not make them crap their pants from the boom, but you will be heard!

Take a listen to “Another One Bites The Dust” or “My Sharona”, or (don’t laugh) practically all of the tracks off of either of Duran Duran’s first two albums. You can HEAR the bass – and it sounds very BASSY - but really, it is not.
  16. The eq was the main problem
    I have a 150 watt power amp that I crossed over to the highs and flattend out the eq a lot
    I did poop my pants (it hit me in the chest like I wanted)
    HUGE difference
    Thanks to everbody for there help
    I dont feel that I`ve spent to much money on this stuff anymore
    It really sounds great
    now how do i delete this post ?
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: