my amp setup... i hate it. upgrade? or start from scratch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by humanisfood, May 18, 2012.

1. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    you can get by with 1 good 4 ohm cab, but i am sorry to say neither the ampeg sealed 410
    nor the 15 or the 210 will do it. the 210/15/B2 rig will disappoint you at the first gig IMO

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2976323660.html chk this cab, if it is a 410tx they are
    good. its the cheapest cab that will bloom into room. 4 ohm is best. 8 ohm means you need more amp to drive it, raising your cost.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2920912491.html
    whoa! this rig should have tone for days!

hope this helps

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You'd probably have better results if you just ditched the 15".

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You need one of these...

Tesla_8ft.jpg

4. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    so I am researching the head (Peavey 400GH)... i think IT IS a guitar head. i've done what people have suggested and tried on just the 4x12 and then just the 1x15... they both kinda have the same tone... almost guitar-like. i just wonder if i get a new BASS head would this rig sound decent enough for me...?

5. Probably not..............

Still pretty sure the Peavey cab is NOT a bass cab, and adding a single driver cab (the 1X15) to the mix just messes things up more.

6. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    OK! i think i am pretty damn sure that the Head and 4x12 Cab are a guitar rig. It was sold to me as a bass rig and it never sounded right. I think (and tell me if this is stupid)... get rid of the Peavey head and 4x12 cab to guitar player... buy a nice bass head and use the 1x15 (its [email protected]) and it will hold me down practicing until i can get a nice cab. what do ya think?

7. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    the Peavey setup as a guitar rig is insanely monstrous... sound pretty OK and VERY! LOUD! ahaha

i guess i was just in denial that i kinda got ripped off as a ignorant teenager. oh well... i mean 400...G...H...guitar head? i think so...

8. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Are you on crack, man? Usually you're pretty on point, but this is the craziest thing I think I've ever seen you say. A (no doubt guitar) 4x12 is going to be roughly the same in terms of displacement as a 1x15/2x10 setup. Considering that 4x12 is probably 30 years old, it's unlikely those drivers are rated at more than 50w each (and designed for guitar, which means low xmax, aka no bass). That Ampeg rig, while not stellar, would beat the pants off what he has now for volume, deep lows, overall sound quality, reliability, etc...

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend that buy specifically unless he could get the guy down to like $400-450.

OP, don't listen to these dudes telling you to try everything you have individually and keep whatever works best. None of your gear is any good for bass (which you seem to have mostly figured out by this point). If you want a serious rig, you will have to "work" for it (ie search around for good deals and then spend some $$$).

That Mesa/Eden rig would be sweet. It would be plenty loud and sound killer. if you needed more volume after that you could add another cab like that one (which are semi-common). Try the stuff out, and if it all works properly and sounds good, offer the guy like $900 and see where it goes.

If that doesn't work out, keep looking, but expect that you should sell your entire rig once you get something new, and expect that you will probably only get $300 for the whole pile (if you can find a buyer).

9. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Fake edit...

I just saw that the Sonic cab has an EV Pro Line. Those are great speakers and the driver itself is worth about $125. I would take the driver out of that cab, sell the cab by itself (you could ask 75 or 100 and hope for 50-75), and maybe just hold onto it for later, or you could search for a better 15 cab (unloaded) to put it in, and use for smaller gigs, practice, or just something different.

TL,DR: the 15" driver is the only decent thing you have, keep that and sell all the rest and start over.

10. Substandard

Substandard Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Seattle
    Mesa eden rig is your best bet, at the very least that head is 1000$ by itself normally. you'd be a fool to get anything else.

11. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Doesnt this seem to be a case of that ever so touchy topic of mismatching speakers? Distorting and sounding bad at loud volumes but ok when turned down...

I'd keep the Peavey head, guitar head or not, not to many amp go to 2ohms anymore and its bulletproof reliable. Then get yourself a new speaker cab whether it's a 2x15 or 8x10. And since the Peavey can go to 2ohms, you can later add a second identical cab for stupid impractical loud. More speakers, more volume.

12. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    This.

13. Yes and no. Eden cabs blow out speakers a little too often for my liking. The 400 would be great to own but not many go a grand. All told it's a great deal if the amp is going strong but it's probably snaffled by now.

Jungleman made a good point, if that 15 is the EV and it's good it's worth more to you than anyone would give you for it.

How long can you go without a rig? Cashing up all but the EV gives you a fair egg to shop with.

You could find or build two classic EV 15b mesa diesel cabs, find an amp and have a good budget left for effect pedals. Fun times.

14. Yes, that Peavey head is for guitar. The "Musician" head was for guitar, the head that looked almost identical for bass was called the "Bass". Most everything about that head would be wrong for bass as Peavey voiced the preamps very differently despite the similar cosmetics and power amp designs. Sell it to a guitarist and check out a used VB-2.

15. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I recommend starting over, I play similar styles to you, I have had a few amps and started playing on a genz benz shuttle 600 a few years ago and have never even considered a change, the amp meets all my needs, is versatile, and makes my back happy.

16. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks so much for the advice. you guys are REALLY helping me out. just getting a push in the right direction is what i need. i know a guy at a pawn shop who is into music and i could probably get a good deal on a head. i am going to look into that. more info about what kinda wattage i would need or how to make sure i get something that will work with the 15 for now but be able to get good volume out of a bigger cab later would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

17. This is a good plan.

I'm curious what the Sonic cab is made of. Are they aping the naming on the mesa/ev gear or what?

18. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Sonic = cheap mdf knock-offs of other brands.

19. I'm second/thirding and fourthing the mesa 400+ and Eden rig on craigslist. That would give you everything you're looking for and you wouldn't need the distortion pedal because you could run the tube amp in breakup heaven.

Careful about pawn shop buys. There are some great deals to be had but also some real rip offs.

20. Pyramid City

Pyramid City

Mar 4, 2012
    I just recently switched over to an Ampeg SVT-PRO III and an Ampeg 410HLF. Im loving it so far. It has a nice tube preamp and drive with a solid state power to save weight. I traded my old head for the head and bought the cab for 400, so that setup would definitely be in your range for sure. The head pushes 450 watts and that cab handles 500 so it is a good match. I would definitely recommend that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021