my amp setup... i hate it. upgrade? or start from scratch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by humanisfood, May 18, 2012.

1. I vote start over.

I would look into the Hartke LH1000 head and the Hydrive 410 cab. Great setup, LOUD! and you can get one for a little over $1000 brand new... less if you look used. Also if you can get a good deal on a 410 cab, HelloMusic.com will have the GenzBenz Shuttle 9.0 head for under $500 (that is a deal on this head).

Lots of options out there.

now a guitar rig CAN sound sweet as a bass rig. Case in point: Peavey Triple X head. I tried this beast by itself on top of a ampeg 410 and it sounded great. Clean channel was surprisingly deep and punchy, and the lead channel was straight out Lemmy!

2. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    i have been doing a lot of research and learning so much. thanks to everyone for their help.

ditched the guitar cab and corrected the settings on the head and bass. now just the 15 sounds good(enough) but i need more volume.

i have an idea and tell me if its stupid...
    i am thinking of taking the Sonic 115 cabinet and upgrading the speaker.
    for $100 i can get a nice 15 from Peavey. http://peavey.com/products/speakers/instspeakers/index.cfm/item/106541/BlueMarvel%26reg%3BTNT-1556.cfm

roughly double the wattage and 20hz lower than the speaker currently in it (EV 15L Pro-Line)

let me know what you think. thanks again!

3. Problem is...............you CANNOT throw any 15" speaker into a cab just because it "fits".

Cabs are designed AROUND the speaker being used, not the other way around.

4. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    This.

5. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    You're going to "upgrade" a killer EV (which before you said was a B, now you say L, which is it?) to a low end Peavey? That makes no sense at all. The EV driver is the only really good thing you own, and you want to switch it out? Put that $100 towards an actual bass head. You can sometimes get stuff like an SWR Bass 350 or older Trace Elliot head in the $250-350 range. That will allow you to get more out of your EV 15 until you can get your cab situation sorted out later on down the road.

6. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    well before i wasnt sure of anything. now i am sure i have a Sonic 115TL w/ EV 15L Pro-Line (8ohm). its lows arent low enough (60hz) for my 5string but its a killer little cab on its own now that i have the amp setup better.

i want to stick with a 115 or do a 215. i need a little more low end and more volume. i also shooting for a 4 ohm setup in the end. if i could get another 115TL with same speaker i would snatch it up.

7. TJSlice

TJSlice

Jan 7, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Get rid of everything, or most of it (keep that EV speaker, you could always use it later or sell it, maybe WinISD model an enclosure for it and have an extra cab for the rehearsal space?)

Learning from my gear purchases as a gui**** then switching to bass, get what you want from the get go (I like to make a game out of playing underdog gear if possible :D). Although it seems nowadays, you can pull good sounds out of almost any of the respectable brand's stuff out there.. Go used if possible unless you need a warranty, and since you play punk/metal, ratty is good! And if your not playing with PA support a lot, it'd probably be a good idea to get as much wattage/speakers as possible. If you look hard, great gear can be had for cheap... My crapfor instance:

Ampeg SVT 810- $300
    Sansamp RPM- $125
    Crown XLS1000- $300 <--- Only thing purchased new
    Furman Rack conditioner- $25
    BBE Sonic Maximiser- $25
    2U rack drawer- $35
    8U SKB rack case- $60

8. What happened to being willing to spend 1000 bucks upgrading? The used bass gear you could get for that, wow!

Don't throw money at the Sonic cab. A 15L doesn't do lows. Keeping it around for a practice room is a good idea. Replacing speaker is a lottery. Power handling makes sod all difference to the lows.

60Hz is what you need for 5string to sound great. Most cabs can't quite do 60Hz loud so they sound wimpy on B compared to E, which needs 80Hz. Fundamentals are the big lie.

I would spend the first $500 on better cabs, a nice pair of 1153 Trace Elliots would even leave change. I was just reading Tom Bowlus's shootout review. None of those cabs make any 40Hz.

Then I would experiment with bass preamps into the Peavey power amp insert, finally trade Peavey for a modern processing power amp to cut off the sub lows forevermore.

9. trbostic

trbostic

Jun 20, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Hey man I have a Goliath 3 cabinet that I am selling for $275 it is rate 700w RMS at 8 ohms.Its in good condition everything works. Cosmetically it is missing one plastic corner but everything else is good. Also comes with soft case. pm me if you are interested

10. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    [​IMG]

OK so I made an upgrade. i think i did OK. i found this Peavey Mark VIII Bass head for $150. a BIG upgrade from the Peavey 400GH. using it with my Sonic 115TL/EV Proline and it sounds pretty good. way better than before. lots of low end!

so the 115 is 8ohms so i am getting less than 300 watts ATM. i was thinking of putting a 210 ontop of it and it'll run at 4ohms/350 watts.

so my question is... should i try to get a 210 about the same watts at the 115(400W)? is a 210 a bad idea? if you have any thoughts on how to improve this setup further please let me know!

11. Sweet amp score!

Ditch the EV cab for a nice pair of 2x10 or 15's. You might get lucky and find a 2x10 that works with the ev but two will sound sweeter.

12. humanisfood

humanisfood

May 18, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    this amp can do 600W at 2ohms. what about 2 ampeg 410s?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021