Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp sounds bad, HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, I have an SWR la-15, and it sounds like crap. I am serious, my friends like 20 watt amp sounds better. I cant get the right tone on mine. I have a 3 band eq on my bass, and if you could, tell me (if i left that flat) what i could set my amp to to not get a bad fuzz, bad pop, finger, slap, and everything else sound. I like to play funk/metal if that helps any, thanks, _-soto-_

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not play funk metal?

3. Maybe is the battery on your bass.. have you checked that already??..

You should be more specific on how "crappy" does your amp sound.

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    the battery is new, i do play funk, metal, and funk metal. is it just the amp? cuz i can make the sound flat and it sounds ok, but i like that pop and slap sound that can't be reached when its flat, thanks, _-soto-_

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Lol. Seriously, this is just a matter of experimenting with the different settings on your amp and bass until you find something that is suitable for you. Even if you amp sucks, you should be able to find at least a decent setting that you like.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    So what do you do? Crank bass and treble knob?
    This could be the reason. If you dial in a lot of bass you have to re-adjust the gain knob (= turn down) or your amp will most likely start to distort.

Also be aware that you have to sacrifice volume for deep bass - your amp only puts out so much power...

And you still haven't told us what you mean by 'crappy'. Do you want useful answers or not?

Matthias

7. Start with both the amp and guitar set flat. (Using finger style) Start by turning the mids down on the amp little by little. As you do this your volume is going to go down so just bump up the volume knob to compensate. When you get the mids sounding right (using slap and pop style) listen to the high end. Adjust the treble (high) on your guitar until your slap tone suits you. In this way you will have control over your slap tone and finger style tone at the guitar. Hope this helps..........:D

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    This isn't an attack, but, your bass could be the problem as well. Sometimes it's a combo of factors.

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I have an SWR LA-12, and I love it! I use it for all styles... but most recently I've been using it for jazz. I have the midrange set at about 9 oclock and the bass and treble set at about one.

since you have a 3 band eq on your bass as well, heres how mine is set up: bass flat, treble flat, mid range slightly cut.

you might want to bring the amp to be looked at by a tech... you might have blown something.

10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    its not the bass, because it sounds hella good on my friends like 80 dollar 30 watt practice amp. but on mine, the eq's all jacked or somethin, i'm gonna turn it all up, make it flat, and go from there, _-soto-_

11. never crank the EQ all the way up. Beginners always make that mistake and end up realizing after they've done the damage; half the time you cant tell if you've done anything. Do you get speakerr distortion? I'd reccomend a new amp and a new bass whenever money is available. The SWR LA series arent the best of amps.

I have to say something about the person who said tone is all in your fingers and you can sound good on any amp if you are good... That's a load of BS my friend, that's just wrong to say that. TO put down the work and designing and the 'usage' of expensive basses above 1k; you're completely out of line. Besides that, I think you atleast need a good amp. You can get decent tone from a ****ty bass if you have an amp that turns up without distorting or sounding like ass.

I can tell you that my 100 dollar Squier 15 watt 8" combo sounds excellent in my room, even with a low B. But turn it past 2 and its ****, its wasted.

Peace,
    too much tuyping!