1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my amp sounds is making a distorted phasey sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by treymonfauntre, May 11, 2006.

1. treymonfauntre

treymonfauntre

May 11, 2006
    heres the gear i'm currently hooking up:

OLP musicman 4 string
    gallien krueger backline 600
    fender bassman 1x15

the head has 2 channels, one has gain and the other is clean. theres a 10db pad, which i usually use because i play very hard and sometimes the bass will clip the input. however, when i'm playing live (usually i add a 2x10 to the combination, which brings it down to 4ohms which the amp is rated at) i need the extra volume so i don't use it. the clipping isn't a problem because i usually crank the boost and midrange so it is a real dirty overdrive sound.
    but the other night at a show i couldn't use it at all, no matter what i did to the EQ the output from the amp was just 100% bass and no treble. i worried about blowing out my speakers since it was SO bass heavy, so i borrowed a friends 4x10 combo and played the rest of our set with that. **** was embarassing.
    anyway, i took it home to listen, and without the pad on the clean channel is distorting heavily and theres a bit of a phasey/comb filter style effect you can hear. what would cause this? the amp is only from december.

2. treymonfauntre

treymonfauntre

May 11, 2006
    bump

3. treymonfauntre

treymonfauntre

May 11, 2006
    more info:
    i didn't even think about it at the time, but i was using this head to power an 8ohm 15" cab and a 4ohm 4x10. the head is only rated to 4ohms. could that have screwed something up?

4. treymonfauntre

treymonfauntre

May 11, 2006
    i just realized i totally massacred the title of this thread
    my amp HEAD is making a distorted phasey sound...

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yes. Take it to a tech. Not a whole lot a guy can do in a GK amp unless you know what's what.

6. treymonfauntre

treymonfauntre

May 11, 2006
    well actually i didn't touch it since i made this post and i powered it up a few minutes ago and its working perfectly fine. very strange stuff.