My amp stinks!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just did some slight rearranging in my place. Put my Behringer BX600 (since I never use it) in an entertainment center about 4 ft. from where I'm sitting now. For days I've noticed a really weird, bad, chemical, woody smell. I thought it was bag of recyclable garbage I was being lazy about tossing. It's the damn amp. Just wanted to vent (pun intended).

Have you ever sniffed your amp? Does your amp stink?????
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    No, my amp smells like strawberries. ;)
  3. My amp smells like those anti misquitto(sp) candles, cause I lent it to a friend of mine, and some wax dripped onto the side of the cab.

But I used enough windex to get it out.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've noticed that Boogies have a certain smell to them when they are brand new. I think it might be the adhesive they use for the tolex, or maybe the paint on the wood. Either way, I think it smells sweet.

Can an amp be classified as an inhalant?
  5. i have an old Peavey TKO65 bass amp that greets my ass whenever i get to play, and i don't have any problems with the sound or smell of it. my guess is something's fried. ever blow out a computer speaker?? they leave a really bad sorta oversweetened coffee sorta smell? probably the same thing with your Behringer.
  6. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    My amp has that regular tube burning kinda smell, you know. Maybe old amps don't smell, i sure wish it smelt of strawberries though.
  7. My head and cab have that stale beer / stale cigarette "I've spent too much time in the lounge" smell.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I can't wait for the new Boogie smell :D

As for my Ampeg, mmmm stale beer and smoke :)
  9. behringer/avatar rig smells like new tennis balls. :smug:
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think its an adhesive or some such chemical
    my eden 210xlt smelled like diapers (unused) - especially from the vents
  11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have two vintage amps that smell different than the newer ones. A 1969 Sunn 2000S and a 1972 Ampeg V-4. They both smell like a cellar, maybe old mold, but cooked old mold. My newer amps have a cooked smell, but not mold. They do smell different when running though.... They smell GLORIOUS...!!! The ions and electrons and all have a distinct smell. More like an experience. You should get a tube amp. The new Traynor 200 watt tube head is incredible, and it smells great. Better than my used tube amps. I wish my amps smelled that good, but I'm not gonna trade them just cause of the smell. But if I was shopping for a new amp, it would prolly be the Traynor. New, Great sounding, powerful, good looking, and mostly, smells great.! Yup.. Traynor YBA200.
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Mine too. When I open my rack a day or two after a gig, it lets a puff of stale bar smoke and old beer stench out into the room. It goes away after I let it air out for awhile.
  13. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    My cab didn't smell too good when I went to practice and noticed mold growing all over the carpet covering...

But now it smells like an entire can of Lysol... :D
  14. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    I'm not familiar with the BX600. Is there a wooden case involved? Some woods secret a sap that smells like.....puke. I had a problem with road cases that I owned years ago. The case company took them back and painted all the inside sufaces.
    That helped; but I still had to spray orange industrial odor spray in the case. My cases then smelled like an orange grove, which was better than puke!
  15. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i really couldnt describe the smell of my amp...but its lovely
  16. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    In all seriousness...

I once experienced an odor much like the one described from an amp that started to "boil away" one of it's resistors. These little buggers really STINK when they're dying. :eek:

So that prompts the question.... is the amp working? Has it started to sound bad? Any symptoms at all that indicate something's about to go wrong?
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    +1. Could be of advantage if I was a smoker. If I ever ran out of cigarettes, I could just go suck on cab's carpet.
  18. My Avatar cabinets have a smell to them.The first CB112 I got smelled smoky,like it had been near a fire.I called Dave and he said he thought it was the hot glue,he said they only had a couple other people comment on it.My second CB112 had far less of that smell but it is still there,just not very strong.Both of them have less of the smell the longer I have them and if we play smokey bars more the bar smell will overtake the factory smell anyway.To really notice the smell you have to stick your head close to the carpet anyway,at least with my second one,and I'm sure it is more representitive of most of his cabinets.I like these cabs a lot,that's why I bought a second after getting the odd smelly one.It must have been a fluke.
  19. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Shouldn't this be in the Behringer Stinks forum? :D

All the stuff I gig with smells like rock and roll. You know the combination of beer, smoke, and skank. Not to mention the stuff that get all over your wires(bar juice). That stuff is pretty rank. Not real sure whats in it. I need to send it off to the lab for testing.