Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My amp wen't plooie! Now I gotta spend a buttload to get it fixed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I turned it on, it gave me about a second of low pitched feedback, and then stopped working. No power or anything. and it's a solid state, meaning I can't just hope it's the fuses...now I gotta have someone fix it for, who will probably overcharge me...damn!

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    This may sound odd, but have you tried it with a different cable? I had the exact same thing happen to me awhile back: lot's of low-end noise and suddenely nothing. Turns out the cable had somehow burned itself out. (Though if the indicator lights on the amp aren't working or anything then this isn't the problem, obviously). At any rate, since I doubt that the cable's the problem, I'd look into what a good amp tech will charge you, then compare it to the cost of a new amp: if it's gonna cost a ton to fix it then you might as well get a new amp.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I heard that already, but a combo 200 watter 15' with 7 band graphic EQ (Crate B80XL) for $150, I think it's worth getting it fixed. a new one that size would run me 600-800 bucks! So I'm thinking I might just have to get ti fixed.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You said its solid state so it doesn't have fuses, I assume you meant to say tubes. Did you check the fuse?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which "the fuse" would you be reffereing to? I am not electronicly inclined at all. And yeah, I meant tube. My bad.

6. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I blew up a peavey dpb 300 watt head about two weeks ago,
    The tech said that because it was digital it had to be sent to peavey to be repaired, and estimated the cost at about $150 to replace the burned out mosfet. I paid $350 for the amp 350+150=$500 which to me is to much to have invested in a head that never really sound great to me.
    So I ordered a new SWR bass 350 head for $699 and now have another 2 years of warranty.
    Now if someone bought this peavey head off me for $75 they could have a 300 watt head for $225 after repair.

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    My Crate BX-100 has a fuse holder on the back panel. It's a little black knob looking thing. Twist it about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn while pushing in, then it should just pull straight out. Replace with the same fuse after checking to see if the metal filament that goes through the glass tube is broken or not.