My Ampeg 610hlf just arrived!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Feb 11, 2002.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds sweet! Lot's of low end rumble. Sounds great with my B4r and sounds even better with my SVT 200T. I guess I just like that Ampeg old school sound. My guitar player has an early 70's SVT that he is going to let me use now and then. He has to convert the output jack to 1/4inch somehow first. can't wait to here how that sounds with the 610.
    Got three gigs this weekend. Can't wait!
  2. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Go to Radio Shack and get the appropriate jack converters. I think you can get one that goes from RCA to 1/4 inch without hassle.
  3. Damn 610hlf... someday you'll be mine! :D
    I love that cab, if I had €4000 I'll buy also a Svt!!!!!

Congratulations, Ampeg rocks.
  4. NICE:) :) :) .........Congratulations on the new Cab i use one with a SVT3 Pro and it sounds great
  5. Congrats! They're great cabinets. I liked my buddy's 410HLF so much that I traded my goliath III for it. It really works great with my 76 SVT. I hear the 610 just slays. Just my opinion, but your guitar player friend doesn't really need to modify a classic like that. You can still get those 4 pin XLRs (you might have to do some digging though). I'd suggest making a speaker cable that had the XLR on one end and a 1/4" on the other. Easy enough to do.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Thanks. I'll suggest that to him. You're right no sense modifying it. That might lower the value of it to some folks, although I don't think he as any intention of ever selling it.
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So are you giving up on the Bag End's? Never did
    get the low end grunt?

Hope your back holds up, amigo! Let us know
    how carrying that thing around goes for you.
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I hear you captain wally. The back has been feeling better since I joined the Y and started riding the stationary bike and walking the indoor track 4 or 5 days a week but I am still going to have to be careful. I think I may have one of the Bag Ends sold but I am considering keeping one for smaller and/or less rig friendly gigs. Don't anybody get me wrong, the Bag End cabs are great sounding and loud but for my loud classic rock band I had to have the Ampeg. It transports alot easier than I thought it would. I just have to tip it into the back of my truck (chevy S-10) and slide it in, instead of lifting up and in like I had to do with the 410 and 18 cabs I had. It has a heavy duty handle on the back and wheels so it tips back and rolls like a built in hand truck. The main problem is getting it up and down stairs. I got it up the 5 steps to my front door by myself without any problems but I think I'll get help lifting it when needed.
  9. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I purchased my SVT 610HLF in Aug. 2001. Apparently it has a blown speaker and is at the service place as I write this. I traded my SVT 410HLF for this cab. I'm a little disappointed to what happened so I contacted my local dealer and he ordered up a Peavey 412 for me to try. Let's see what happens.
  10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i was actually in GC the other day and played through
    the 610hlf --- oh man! the voice of Zeus!

well anyway, the immediate reaction is obviously to
    try and figure out a way to carry that sucker around.
    the built-in hand truck thing is very cool, but like you
    said--stairs would be an big issue. i have them in front
    of my house too.

i had an idea---you know how many dolly's have what
    I would call 'treads' on the back for lifting washing
    machine and such up stairs? how hard would it be
    to install sometime like that on the back of the ampeg?

so you wheel it up to the step, tread up, wheel, tread,
    and so forth?

that being said, i doubt i'll ever sign up to move that
    beast around.
  11. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    .Hey gmann ,
    That cab has a 5 year warranty. You should just let your dealer fix it and continue on. Unless you've decided you don't like the sound ofthe cab. It shouldn't be a re occuring problem but even if it is, take it in every time it happens for the next 5 years. I guarrantee the dealer will make it right

.Captain Wally
    The 610 hlf has skid rails on the back already installed by Ampeg that and a metal kick plate. I haven't tried going up and down steps with it that way, I just lifted it up one step at a time (4 steps) to get into my house. It's 115 pounds so with a second person helping (wife) it will be a breeze. I'll get some pix posted on my web page and put a link here.
  12. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    The cabinet has a 5 year warrenty, the speakers a 2 year warrenty. Like I said it's at the authorized service center now. He said about 2 weeks cause he had to order the speaker.
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    They are nice cabs. I have 2 410HLF's, and love em. I have tried the 610's a couple of times, and would have bought one of them, but I wanted to go the 2 4x10 path.
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Nice rig!

I would suggest you get rid of that Rackrider and get a real Furman power conditioner, though. The Rackrider is ruining the "expensive-'n-cool" factor on your rig. Also, get rid of that SKB rack and get an Anvil style case.

Also, What is that big metal plate at the bottom of the 6x10 for?
  15. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Wow, i really would love to own an ampeg 610 but right now i'd only have 300 watts at 4 ohms pushing it, i think i'd kill my amp before it sounded loud.

i think that plate is the "kick plate" where you put your foot so when you yank on the bar it goes onto its wheels....
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Expensive and cool? I think I'm being tweeked :p
    I see my rig as a great sounding working player's rig.
    If you think an Ampeg B series amp and classic series cab is an expensive rig then you need to look around at what some of the other players on TB use. :eek:

The metal plate is where I put my foot when I tip the cab bck to transport. I also Imagine that that is the area that gets torn up the most by going up and down stairs
  17. I've never played through one of the 6x10HLFs. I'm an Ampeg devotee and have an SVT-410HLF, SVT-210HE, and an SVT-115E with a second one on order. I really like the sounds I get with these cabs.

Can anyone tell me just what is the real difference between the 410HLF and the 610HLF in a gig situation (not store or home)?

I've used my 410, 210, and 115 all together with my Peavey Firebass, for outdoor gigs only, and it's one whale of a wall of bass sound when I do. I'm looking forward to the 410 coupled with 2 115s for my next outdoor gig. For indoor gigs I use my Ampeg SVT-III head with one or two of the cabs; works beautifully.

I'm kinda curious about the 610 though. Would I really gain anything getting one?
  18. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The 6x10 would probably be louder than the 410hlf. Also, the 410hlf has a wider frequency range.
  19. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just wanted to let you all know that the 610hlf passed the gig test on all 3 of my gigs this weekend. Went out on the dance floor several times and had plenty of low end rumble. Had several compliments from band members and audience members. In my opinion multiple 10's are the way to go. Once again, thank you Ampeg. I am a happy man.

also had a couple of bass players in the audience friday that complimented my rig. One guy sat in so i got to go out in the crowd and listen.

Two more things.
    #1: No back ache:D
    #2: 3 gigs, 2 rips in the tolex already. :rolleyes: