Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Ampeg 8x10E cab can't handle the power I'm putting to it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I have a Stingray5 going straight to a Ampeg SVT-4Pro. I'm running the amp in bridge mono mode (1600 watts) to the cab. My 8x10 cab is rated at 800 watts RMS. I love the sound that I get from the cab but when I start playing around on the B string, the cab starts popping. The drivers are begging for mercy.... :bawl: Our band mainly plays large venues so I need the stage volume. I don't want to change the settings on my EQ because I have the exact sound that I want. My funds are limited right now so I would like to get a cab/cabs that will handle the power and get close to the sound of my cab. So should I:

1. Get better drivers for my cabinet?

2. Get two Avatar B410 Pro cabs?

3. Get a Carvin 8x10 cab (1400 watts RMS) ?

Thanks, Jody

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Go for the Avatars, the Carvin won't sound much better (if it's the Red Line series you're talking about). The 810E wasn't designed to be used with a B-string. That's what the HLF series cabs are for. Also, don't forget about Peavey's TVX line. They go as low as the HLF series, but are more efficient and cost less.

3. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    ditto. you're probably trying to push too much sub-bass low end in a cab that can't handle those low frequencies too well. i know u dont want to change the eq, but cutting back on the bass and increasing the mids (or low-mids) would probably help. i had similar problems with my 410HE and that fixed it.

4. Try setting the EQ on you amp flat, I think there's a bypass switch so you won't mess up your settings. Use the eq on your bass for your tone.

5. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Thanks for the info OX. I just don't want buy a NEW 8x10. If I was going to buy another new 8x10 cab, I would go for a Ampeg SVT-810HPC. I just don't have the money right now... :mad:

6. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I know u dont want to change the eq, but cutting back on the bass and increasing the mids (or low-mids) would probably help. i had similar problems with my 410HE and that fixed it.[/QUOTE]

That being said, are you happy now without having the lows that are missing now since you backed adjusted your EQ?

7. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002

I tried that and I just don't get the sound that I want with EQ turned off.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Peavey 8x10s can be found used for 500 bucks or less. Or you could always go with two of the 4x10s.

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The Ampeg 8x10 isn't really a "low B" cabinet. When it was invented, we were all using "low E" four string basses. I had a couple of Ampeg 2x15 cabs back then and they had a lot more bottom. If you want to stick with Ampeg, try out a 2x15 cab. ;)

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Let me first say that I don't know what style of music, or what venues you are playing......but......8-10's is a pretty big rig to have on stage. Unless you're band is hauling its own system and its own sound techs you should be prepared to make some sacrifices in regards to your stage volume/tone..If you are playing large venues the audience doesn't know if you have an 8-10/4-15's moster stack, or a 1-12 pinner combo, what they hear is up to the sound guy, PERIOD!! I would get used to NOT having your perfect tone on stage, and be happy if you can hear yourself at all, and in larger venues, be nice to the sound guy!!

11. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Get a crossover and a 115, 215, or 118. Much easier than getting 2 new 410s or 1 new 810.

13. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Damn, how big are these venues?????

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    He probabally doesn't have or use much PA support. I usually don't, and I play at fairly big places (clubs, auditoriums). My Trace V4 through a Henry 8X8 and a Kustom 215 works just fine.

15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I built a cab with a bp102 and they're nice drivers. The drivers can move further than most 10s, with an xmax of 6mm, and the low end is great. You pay for it with low efficiency though (91db per driver, compared to maybe 95 for the average), so it's not as lous as most other 8x10s. Also, 150lbs?!!

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Lay off the low boost dude. You are asking your cab to do something it simply can not. You have a fine cab, no need to get rid of it.

-Mike

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    :rollno: :rollno:

18. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    :crying: :bawl:

19. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    what if you buy a couple of 'em? would they be louder then :smug:? and it'll proabably cost less than those expensive ass Ampegs

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    They are not that great. I have personally played one of these cabs. If this is all you can afford right now, save up more money. You will be disappointed with these cabs. Think car stereo sub boxes.....

-Mike