Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my Ampeg B2R goes "bump" in the night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cliffemall, Mar 16, 2004.

1. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    Okay, i am in love with my rig. I got an ampeg B2R, avatar 4x10 (BUY AVATAR UNLESS UR GONNA DO MORE THAN $1200+ on a cab) and i run tube pre through the amp loop in the back (note: not the efx loop...but the actual preamp out amp in loop) So this thing sounds incredibly fat and can make a rouge by affinity by squire by fender bass sound good. (ha how many spin offs does one company need?)
    SO heres my prob. The fan buzzes like hell. sounds like a blender. and then it sounds like there is a ground problem. Whats up with that? It's brand new btw. It still smells new. The guys at ampeg assure me its nothing and not to be worried....but what is the opinion of someone who KNOWS what theyre talking about? (PS: the ground on the bass is perfect and the circutry in my house is all new. It is passive bass but it does this even when i have the P and MM both humbucking and ive tried new cables. Also, for sum reason it doesnt do it (the humming) at my drummers house. The fan's annoying too so lemme kno.Thanks

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    is your ceiling fan in that room on while you are playing? maybe getting some intereference

3. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    nothing is on at all. TV, A/C, lights, computer etc. and i do not have any florescent lights...the mystery grows...anyone have any ideas on that crappy ampeg fan though?

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    live near any military research facilities? have a cordless phone or wireless internet setup?

i dont know if the last two could actually have an effect but it might.

5. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I had one fan on a B2R go bad on day one. The next head they gave me was perfect and really quiet. The fan only came on when the head got hot. The next B2R was also perfect. I no longer have either. I'm headed in the pre/power amp direction.

You know, that fan is probably just a computer-grade fan anyway. Maybe it could be replaced with a computer-grade quiet fan from www.directron.com. That would be a cool mod.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    :eek: :bag:

7. I use a B2R for home practice. When I hit anything lower than an A, the fan gets very noisy.
    Is it noisy all the time or just sometimes. Is it worse while playing? Do you set the b2r on your cab? Try moving it off. On mine, I think the vibration messed up the fan, but just a guess.

8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i think the problem is that b2r's suck. i don't know why the cooling fan is so noisy when it doesn't cool much at all. the fan in the b2r i had fried in one practice. i just can't say enough bad about that amp. as another tb'er said "the quietest 350watts you'll ever hear." i suggest you get a gallien krueger.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The cooling fan on the B2R is temperature dependent. Cold, it goes slow.

So it SHOULD be running slow unless/until the amp heats up. As the amp gets hot with higher power output, it will run faster, up to its max speed.

If it is always running fast, even when cold, there is a problem with the fan drive circuits.

Did you just buy it new?

If so, and there is a problem with fan drive, you should be able to get it taken care of immediately. The dealer really should have just called customer service in case of a "new in box" problem.

What kind of noise? Rattling? Whining?

There is some noise from the fan at high speed, but it shouldn't be going high speed unless you are playing loud (getting it hot) ....and it should slow down again.

10. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    Thats what i wanted to begin with...but because i throw all my cash around at guitar center ive made a few friends there. The day i went in to buy the B2R, i said i want the new GK 700RB (i might be off on the exact model but its been a bit) As soon as i said that a HUGE smile came across his face...he promptly took me to the back room to show me something. When i walked there were litterally 300 GK's stacked up waiting to be taken back to the factory. He told me that they had a delievery of 650. There were 200 left in stock and more than 75% of em were returned with problems (mainly burning up) soooooo yeah no. BTW...my main amp is a Eden wt-800 so im not totally crappy :) I just LOVE my baby...anyway back to the topic, the noise sounds like kinda like rocks in can, slightly muffled, and its usually just when the amp starts up. It NEVER gets hot even in the houston summer which is about 150 degrees with enough humidity that you can drink the air...anyone from houston can attest to that. So the fan isnt affecting the safety of the amp and if it had 300 more watts id trust it to be my main amp...but it doesnt so it stays in our practice house. LONG STORY SHORT..the fan annoys me. would it be hard for me to replace it? Will it void the warrenty? i dont think ampeg will take it back cuz i think its just a shatty fan to save money. I mean c'mon when you play through eden's... what else is there?

AND YES... i do live near a military testing facility... i shouldve known there was a goverment conspiracy to put static in my ampeg...im so stupid for not realizing it sooner....
    :hyper: (no reason for this dude hes just ****in hilarious)

11. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a lousy fan bearing to me. I'd replace the fan. Seriously, check the diameter of the fan and replace it through http://store.yahoo.com/directron/quietfans.html

You ought to be able to make the replacement and if it still sucks, just reverse the procedure and return the amp.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree,I had a B2R for 4 years and while it had a nice tone it really lacked volume.It just didn't have that "push" that we all like to feel while we are playing.BTW mine had a noisy fan also.

13. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I ran a pair of them for about 7 years. They actually seemed better for semi-hollow guitar than bass. Kind of the modern Bassman theory.

I had to ditch them for real bass control.

14. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    does anyone know how that fan goes into the circuit board? Is it 2 pin, 4 pin, or hard wired? The friendly people at ampeg wouldnt tell me because they dont "condone" the modification of warrentied amps....horse shiat....but anyway which one of those fans arrenger sent me will fit...that LED one is pretty tight...but will it fit? and is the connector 4 pin?

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If the fan is rattling, its probably bad.

Why can't you get the local repair folks to replace it under warranty?

I guess I'm having trouble understanding why you can't / won't get warranty service on an item that is, from your explanation apparently an obvious warranty item.

If you did just pick it up, the store often will just swap units and deal with the bad unit themselves.

If the local people refuse to fix it or deal otherwise with it, and there really is a problem, then call our service line. Tell them that your local warranty service people won't do warranty service. I think that will get matters straightened out rather quickly....... its toll free (1-800-738-7563)

As far as the fan information, its a liability thing.

If we explain it to you, we are "authorizing" you to open the unit and work on it. But, we have no idea whether you are "qualified" or electronically knowlegeable enough to work on it.
    If it later causes a problem of some sort, possibly due to the work, guess who is liable?
    Blame the lawyers..............

16. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    i hear ya bro, lawyers are fuuck-ups but eh...the guy i talked to was steve, you probably know him. He seemed knowledgeable but due to phone problems he really couldnt understand what i was asking. So heres the deal on the warrenty info...The guy at guitar center compared it to another brand new one and it was about the same noise level...granted it was louder than ANY OTHER AMP there, including like the GK backline series which are crap and a half. So it came down to him saying dude, im sorry but this noise is not outside the normal opertation perameters so i cant take it back unless there is an obvious malfunction. On top of that, mars electronics, which is the ampeg servicer here in houston (or one of them), says unless the fan is obviously broken or malfunctioning they wont do it for free. So F them too im not dumb so ill do it myself but i know where theyre comming from. BUT when u compare it to my eden its LOUD and personally i prefer my B2R for the studio (with the tube pre....yall should drop sum tubes in the B2R, id be willing to pay a bit more cash for it)...but i just cant have the fan noise in the backround of a part when im playing quiet on a CD. Sooooo...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH FAN WILL FIT???

17. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think anyone here will know which fan will fit. You'd need to remove it and match it up at a computer parts dealer or electronics dealer. It should cost less than $15.

Now, you might want to consider this:
    Simply disconnect the fan for studio use. Aren't you just going out the XLR-out anyway? If the amp isn't fed a signal, it shouldn't get hot and the fan won't need to run.

18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I passed your posts to the service manager, (he's out today, won't get anything till tomorrow).

19. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    Naw dude, in the studio we do 3 diff mics arranged diff on my studio cab, then we got an xlr out and then we plug the bass straight into an avalon pre so in the mix we got the raw bass, the amp itself and then the cab. So yeah i got 5 channels just for bass...its VERY worth it. The reason for the 3 mics is because my "studio" cab is actually a modified avatar with an eden 10" a mesa 10" standard eminance delta 10" and finally an swr 10" and what we basically did was we created 4 cabs within the cab to isolate each speaker. This works out because the mics we use are all VERY short range mics meaning you cant hear any of the other speakers from different mics...thats why the fan is such a problem because in order to achieve this effect the cab must be run at LOW volumes to prevent muddiness and when those short range mics can hear the damn fan....its loud. Anyone whos spent some time in a pro type studio knows what im talking about here when i talk about those mics. BTW...anyone who is wondering about that cab...it sounds like CRAP on its own but when u get all the sources blended on a track, you wouldnt BELIEVE the richness and depth. Its pretty breath-taking. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME BUT ITS SOOO WORTH IT, if your bass stands out in the band. If anyone wants any details on that cab or has done this before (cuz ive never met anyone who has), lemme know cuz i cant be the only one)

20. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    thanks a lot man, i knew all of yall couldnt be useless...too bad there arent more people as helpful as you. Your good people