Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Ampeg preamp makes nature noises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Great! After alot of agrivation a while back with horrible buzz, I took in into the shop and lost it for about a month, where they replaced the 3 defective tubes. The result was a significantly reduced buzz.

A few months later, it's acting up again!

It makes nature noises. When I turn it on, it sounds like the beach, with a harsh wind blowing. In the time it takes to turn off after I flip the switch, it sounds like dripping water. Sometimes it sounds like a rainy day on the Savanna, or a waterfall.

It only does it sometimes, and jolsting a bit seems to do the trick. One time I oppened it up and fiddled around inside, and to my great joy, when I put it back together, it worked fine. I thought I fixed it. It just came back.

It also distorts the sound when it does this. The signal comes out weak, and distorted, and the degree of distortion/weak signal varies.

Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt.

What's going on? My vote is for the Sansamp!

2. its possesed
    try an exorcism.:confused:

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If it's under warranty, take it back to the shop and ask for a loaner. It would seem that if they already have had for a month and not fixed it they owe ya something. Also, you might write a letter of complaint to Ampeg.

4. Heh, when it starts making sounds like a bull moose farting on a foggy morning it's time to trade it for an RBI. :)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sounds like there might be some cold soilder joints that need to be re-soildered.

6. Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinin the cold solder joint thing, or some other loose connection too. It works most of the time, and when it doesn't, I can usually get it working by moving it. I think I'll just get by with it for now. This is kinda not good though.

7. Another thing to consider could be a dirty tube socket. I had a similar problem in my vintage svt and used caig pro gold to clean the sockets. Problem solved.

8. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    i would have to agree with Nino-Brown

ive found that ampeg stuff is pretty reliable.

and if it is of note, my dad's amplifier which he built from scratch by himself had this same general problem (amp made "rain" noises") and it turned out to be the soldering

also if jostling it fixed it then it is definitly wires that need soldering.

if that doesnt work i would say just return it if its still under waranty