Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My ampeg setup's peaking too much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonnyBassist, Jan 3, 2004.

1. JonnyBassist

JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    My 410HE ampeg and SVT-350H head I got for christmas appear to be peaking a little too often. I let 5 bands use it last night and each of them had a decent amount of peaking going on during them. What do you suggest I do about it?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    welcome to the world of Ampeg:D
    Red pre amp light flashing? Back your pre amp gain off until it stops, or use the -15db pad. Also if you are using an active bass make sure you are not boosting your lows(bass) too much. If it's the yellow limiter light coming on that's ok. That's just the limiter doing it's job. You can turn the limiter off on most ampegs but if you are pushing your amp real hard I wouldn't. The other options would be, buy a more powerful amp or more speaker cabs so you won't have to push your rig so hard to get the desired volume.

3. JonnyBassist

JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    -15db pad? What's that? Sorry but I am still fairly new to all of this stuff, considering my last amp was a Squier 15 watt.

4. I have the same problem. except, i am using just the regular classic 4x10s. I have the b2r head, and without the limiter, and everything up about half way, the red peaking light goes off really bad. The red peaking light is always red almost.
    Yet, when I hook up my peavey 1x15 cab, it doesnt peak.
    Is the head being damaged since its peaking so much? Or are the speakers? Or is anything?
    Soon, i am selling the head and peavey 15in. cab.. and buying a new head. :) Anyone want to buy it?!

5. JonnyBassist

JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    Sorry, I meant I have the 410HE not the 410HLF. Not sure if that makes a difference, but yeah. My head is the SVT-350H. Hope this helps..

6. yeah, the svt350h aand the b2r are the exact same. i looked at the details on ampeg's site.. and they are both the same thing, just different looks.

7. JonnyBassist

JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    Oh, really? I didn't know that. So we basically have pretty much the exact same setup?

8. ha yep. when i tried out your head with the 8x10's i had it half way up and it wasnt peaking. I guess since the cab was 4 ohms

what kind of bass do you use

9. JonnyBassist

JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    I use a Squier P.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    with the SVT350H and the B2r. You'll only be getting 200 watts with the 410he. Add a 15 cab or another 410 and you'll get 350 watts, that plus the extra speakers especially if you stack them so the 410 is closer to ear level, should help.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    SVT15 cabs usually go for $200-$300 used on ebay btw.

12. yep.. i have a peavey 15 in. cab.. but im getting ampeg soon. thanks zach

13. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    my hln and b2r peak pretty easy too.

14. JonnyBassist

JonnyBassist

Jan 3, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah I plan on getting a 15 in. ampeg cab after I get a better bass. I wonder how long and well this amp setup will last me though.