1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Ampeg SVT 2 Pro is making some odd noises. Do I need a new fan?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Pourke, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Andy Pourke

Andy Pourke

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi all. When I turn my amp on, it makes a wierd noise as if the fan is struggling or something. It stops after a minute or so and i'm wondering if it's sign that the fan needs replacing or something. I thank yo'll in advance. Cheers.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    To be bluntly honest, from what you wrote, I have absolutely no idea, and I doubt anyone else does either......

It is notoriously hard to describe sound with words........

bad fans usually rattle, whine, go slow and heat up, etc...... unless there is something pointing at the fan, more than you mentioning it in the same sentence with the noise, any opinion is just guessing.

Sorry, not trying to be a pain, it's just that way y'know?

3. Andy Pourke

Andy Pourke

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi and thanks. It's a whining noise i'd say. Only last about a minute and sounds like the fan to me. It happens on start up and then stops.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    While the noise is occurring perhaps you could gently poke the blunt end of a plastic ball point pen into the fan blades to hear if doing so stops the noise.

I trouble-shoot suspected noisy computer power supply fans this way (although the fan in your amp likely has more torque).

Please wear eye protection if you try this.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021