My Ampeg SVT-4PRO is getting too hot since I have gone to a 2 4x10 setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I use to run my Ampeg SVT-4PRO in bridge mono mode to a 4 ohm 8x10 cab. I now have 2 8 ohm 4x10 cabs. I have a speakon connector wired +1 +2 coming for the bridge mono output from the amp to the 1/4 jack on the other end of the speaker cable. I have the first cable from the amp going to the input on the first cab and then going from the output on that cab to the input to the other cab. Is there something that I'm doing wrong or do I need the rewire my speakon connector? If I have my speakon connector wired the wrong way for my current setup, what wires need to be connected to the correct terminals?

Thanks, Jody
  2. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    bump for some info... :crying:
  3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Maybe the two cabs are a little under 8 ohms each. That might mean you are really driving 3 ohms or some such thing.

Otherwise you'd expect it to be the same thing.
  4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    What is "too hot"?

Is it shutting off?

In fact, the 2 x 8ohms ought to be the same as 1 x 4 ohms. Unless of course, they are slightly less than 8 ohms apiece. Then teh total might be lower than 4 ohms.

One other thing is if the 4-10s are ported. The 8-10 cabs often are not ported, and they load an amp differently than ported cabinets. That is especially noticeable if you have a 5 or 6 string bass, and want a lot of "earthmoving" output.

When operating around the system resonance, speakers tend to be a "reactive" load, meaning that the amp has to work somewhat harder per watt of sound output. That increases heating, but shouldn't be a problem.