1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Ampeg SVT CL tech full of BS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    He was fixing my broken gain knob assembly when he said he found that my two preamp tubes were in the wrong places and one was cracked so he replaced them. Total it was $100, which I thought was going to be the cost just to fix the knob because you have to take the whole amp apart.

But anyway, how can an amp still play with a cracked preamp tube and in the wrong position or "slot."

If he is being upfront about it, I can only imagine my tone will improve--maybe even dramatically, and it was incredible to begin with.

Also do the new SVT CL's come with the Sovteks?

He confirmed it was all US Made but Sovteks are Russian

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Brand new SVT-CL would not come with US made tubes. Mine, which was made in 2004 or 5 came with "Svetlana" 6550s which are sovtek tubes. I don't remember what the pre's were, but they probably were sovteks. By US made, maybe he was just saying the amp was US made, not the tubes.

If there was a tube in the wrong position, well that's kind of weird. Did he say which one? The ones up front are both 12ax7s, the ones in the back behind the power tubes should be 2 12au7s and a 12ax7. It's possible one of those got moved around since the two tube types are close together.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If it all works right afterwords, I think yo got a great deal there. (especially if he's going to corectly set your amps bias too/not just with the LED's)

4. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I think you're right to be suspicious. What he said doesn't make sense.
    The SVT CL doesn't have 2 channels (where a bad tube could be undetected in the unused channel) so you're correct to think a bad tube would have affected the sound for the worse and the replacement would have made it significantly better. For that matter, a cracked tube would be NON FUNCTIONAL.
    On the other hand, it was only $100 and if the dude had to open it up to replace a pot (I assume that's what you mean by knob) the $100 is not unreasonable for his time and labor and the part.
    The dude should just be up front and say he charges $100 to make it worth his while rather than BSing you and undermining your trust. It is an insult to your intelligence.
    Oh yeah, regarding US tubes, there are NONE. Tubes haven't been made in the US since the very last factory ceased production in the mid 70's. All new tube amps come with eastern european or chinese tubes.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, it was the middle/late 1980s, but that's a distinction without a difference.

In any case, the CL has 2 tubes of the same type in the preamp. Maybe he meant that the first stage wasn't a "selected" type.....

But if either one is bad, and a leak means really bad as in pretty soon its no-worky you will have no sound. The signal goes through each one, and if either is bad, TWO stages of the preamp won't work.

So the net result is that his word is suspect......

Maybe he meant that the one in the wrong place was on the floor, in 6 pieces, after he dropped it...... that would account for the leak...............

6. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Jerrold, that made me laugh. He said my amp should have sounded distorted and when he said that I sort of thought "what are you talking about."

He also said I wasn't playing at full 300 watts, only 200 watts.

When I challenged him on what he was saying, he said he couldn't do well explaining it in lay-mans terms.

At that point, I wanted to call bull ****, but I knew fixing the pot (I broke the knob off carrying it in my apartment) required him to take the entire amp apart, unscrew the shield, and go to work. I think that's worth $100. But if he were to say it was $200, I might have kicked his ass within 34 seconds.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I think if what he was saying about the tube pointed to his incompetence I'd be worried about the repair as well. I mean it works right, so I guess don't think about it, but that is really weird.

And if he said you were only running 200 watts, wouldn't that be more of an issue in the power stage?