Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Ampeg SVT4 Pro Is Fizzling I need sugestions PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moe84, Nov 30, 2002.

1. I have a SVT4 Pro and have had no problems til now. It plays and sounds great but every once in a while it will cut out. But it still seems to be getting signal because the peak light still lights up but no sound comes out..My Gutiar player and I seem to think it is a bad cord in my rack but we cant seem to find it??? I would appreciate any and all sugestions and input on this..Thanks Moe:(

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    try new tubes, or new power tubes at least, because then at least you can cross it off the list of possibilities, and may well be the source of the problem.

Good luck,
    chris

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There are no power amp tubes in an SVT4Pro, just preamp tubes (x3). You could try replacing them. I would definitely check more into the cord situation, sounds to me like possibly a bad cable/connection somewhere along the line. I have never had any problems with mine so I really can't help much here. Have you checked the speaker cable going to your cabinet??

If nothing else, how old is it?? If it is still under the 5 year warranty, take it in and have it checked out.

4. Thanks you guys for the sugestions, I went back over the cords and found nil... So I checked my warantee papers and guess what??? It ran out in october, go figure:eek: :( So I called Ampeg in St.Louis and they told me it sounded like a power amp about to go down so I am taking it in and they are going to fix it. The tech said by what I was telling him that the amp wasn''t fried yet and it would be very resonable to fix even if I needed the 3 12ax7's as well, he told me between 125 and 130 to fix it... So Keep your fingers crossed,I need all the luck I can get:p

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had one. Same thing.

I got rid of it right away. I could not deal with a brand new amp $#!++ing the bed.

It sounded good though.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    no worse feeling than good gear gone bad (sounds like a bad movie) hope all works out quickly and inexpensively...

7. Thanks, Me to I just dropped it off today at Ampeg and they are very cool there. The lady at the counter told me she was going to try and push it through as warrantee work even know it had expired in October.....Man I hope she can..I cant really b*tch too much it gave me 5 good years of 0 trouble and I didnt pussy it at all I play at very High volumes and it gets bounced around loadin and unloading so I am not going to gripe too much lol...........

8. I've read about the SVT4 and that only thing standing in the way of me getting one is review where reliability is a concern. hmm

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I have had mine for a couple years now and have used it on hundreds of gigs and a ton of rehearsals, and it hasn't so much as hiccuped. So far so good, I guess.;)

10. Well Like I said I have had mine 5 years and it has takin alot of punishment. Things breakdown sometimes. I aint gonna say bad things because I have played alot of rigs and this one kicks some major ass in my book. So fix it and back into action I shall go....I have never kept a head longer than 3 years in action.So I consider this power for the course. i have a practice amp I have had for 9 years but it only seen road action 2 years. But I have had to have it fixed as well a sound man run power back thru the in put jack and fried some wires .........But I bought and SVT400TH and it just didnt have the ass of the pro..