my Ampeg V-4B is making a ringing noise!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by electricdemon3, May 28, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    whenever I play an "A" note, I hear a faint glassy ring sound from my amp. It sort of sounds like when you circle your finger tip around a wine glass. Does this mean I need new tubes?
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It could be that something is loose inside the amp and resonates at that perticular frequency.
    Tap the amp gently on the side and see if you can hear the same sound.
    As for the tubestuff I´ll let the experts talk.
  3. One of your tubes has probably gone microphonic. To find out which, let the amp get good and warm and then gently tap on the tubes. The quilty one should ring out.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That happens to my V4B also. It happens through some cams & not others.

In my case, it happens when the presence switch is pressed in on the back of the amp.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Want to sell it?????????
    well do you????

6. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I love my amp and am not planning on selling it.

I tapped the tubes and I heard the ringing sound when I tapped every tube. However, all the power tubes shake when I tap one because the entire casing that holds them shakes so I don't know if it is comming from one tube, all of them, or something else. Any ideas? I haven't tried tapping the preamp tubes yet because they are hard to reach and have metal coverings on them.
  7. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I just tried tapping the pre amp tubes and i hear it too. I even hear it if i tap the back side of the case of the amp. It actually is more of a glassy rattling sound than a ring. I wonder if something is loose? its odd because whatever it is gets amplified I can hear the noise come out my tweeter of my cab. It doesn't matter if the volume is up or off on my amp but i dont hear it when it is in standby mode.
  8. I had a head once that started doing that. I finally had to take it up in the hills and shoot it. :)
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i know you said you don't want to sell it but,
    one more time do you want to sell it? it might just be cheaper to get another v-4b for you.