My ASAT neck "creaks" a.k.a. shifts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    The title says it. My ASAT neck "creaks" a bit when I really give it a push to either side. Not a little push, mind you, but it sounds like it's not in there as tight as possible. Now, the neck isn't warped, hold a setup, and keeps in tune very well. It doesn't affect how the neck plays, and I can do this to it and not take it out of tune. It never shifts while I am playing either. So should I be concerned about this? If so, how do I fix it?

I also realize the irony of just posting in another thread a few days ago about how G&L necks are rock solid. Maybe this was a late friday or early monday job.
  2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never checked them, and I have also never messed with them. I will try to tighten them.
  3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    The neck bolts are as tight as I can get them without using an cordless drill. My cordless needs charging, but I am nervous to try it. I don't want to strip any thing or force anything.
  4. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I would call G&L and ask them about it.
    I had a fender "sting" bass that did the same thing. It would creak once in either direction. Although I couldn't actually see the neck move. It bugged me so I took it back.
  5. If you talk to TBer, Hambone, he'll tell you that he likes to change the screws on bolt-on necks with a "machine screw/threaded insert" system. He swears that this gives you a much more positive connection between the neck and the body, regardless of the tightness of the neck and know what?...I believe him.
  6. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I think I will call G&L, since I ordered it less that 2 years ago, I still have about 8 years left on my warranty.
  7. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    My Jazz Bass did that a while ago, I'd suggest you take it to someone to get it fixed.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Did you detune before you tightened the neck screws?