Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Ashbory story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzbassman23, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    My name is Dave. I'm a bassaholic. This is my Ashbory story. Like a lot of us, I can't stop. I just sold my TRB5II and I'm worried because I'm moving in the wrong direction. Even though I'm a devoted 4-stringer, I need a five. Don't I? Well, I've had my eye on a number of low-end basses for the past couple of years. You know the kind. "That would be a fun bass to play. Not my main axe, but fun to play." First it was the Dano Longhorn. It WAS fun to play, and when they dipped well under $200, I really considered one. Then I saw and played the Epi EB-O. Jeez, this is fun, but what would I use it for. After eyeing the Ashbory in a Musician's Friend catalog for months on end, my wife finally took the hint and asked me if she could buy me "one of those little basses" for an anniversary present. I reminded her that we really needed some new curtains for the living room. LIKE HELL I DID! It arrived and WAS fun to play, but there was something that didn't quite grab me. Despite the fact that a lot of you guys out there posted that the strings take time to settle in before they stay in tune, I was still having a difficult time. Now six months later, the strings have settled in and I leave my little bass out and pick it up at least once a day. I'm resisting the urge to take it to work. I'm still too unreliable on it to really use it with my band, but I have a helluva time in my basement.Don't venture much beyond the 7th fret, but that's okay, cause it's scarey down there. I don't want to fall off. Sorry if I bored you. My name is Dave, and I'm a bassaholic.

2. I've tried to play one of those Ashbury thingies but didn't know what the hell to do with it. I'd be a really good practice bass if your smaller, or if your bigger as well. I prefer the Dano though :D

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Welcome to our twisted little corner of bassdom...

Are you actually TRYING to quit, or are you still denying you have a problem?

4. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Who says I have a problem? Why? Do you have a bass for sale? Anyway, it's not me that has the problem it's my wife. If she wouldn't go shopping, none of this would happen. She buys a couple pair of shoes and I start thinking, "Jeez, I could have bought an MIM Jazz for that kind of money." A new suit at Ann Taylor: "I could get a new pedalboard for less than that." So whose fault is it really? :)

Bassline, I don't know what the hell to do with it either, but I have fun with it anyway. There's still something really appealing about the Dano. Resistance is useless.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ashbory=good :D . I bought mine like 2 months after i tried one out-the thing is though i was looking into 5s & 6s that day-found a few i liked-a Dean six with a narrow spacing, a Warwick felt good but like i strapped strings to my neck [width wise], but when i tried it out it was like-i gotta get one, now here i am a few months later & use it along side my jazz on songs where my jazz doesn't sound quite right-places where an upright should play so i cheat & use the ash. Hope you like yours as much as i like mine. Thats all

6. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I was always fascinated by the Ashbory.But I never played one.How the hell do you hold it? Do you stand up with a strap?Sit down and play regularly?Or play it like a pedal steel,with your left hand "over the top"?

7. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I always use a strap. Even sitting down it's awkward without one. Balance is a problem, but since it only weighs about a pound or two, it's easily overcome. I suppose like anything, you get better with time and practice.

8. i like mine but i have had it over a year and the thing still doesn't stay in tune long

9. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I received one for Christmas. It's my first bass. Quite a challenge to learn on. I hate it when people call the Ashbory a toy, and though to some it seems laughable looking--It sounds huge. I love it. Beautiful sounding, difficult to play (at least to learn on), and hard to put down. And yes Dave, I agree--It is a little scary beyond the seventh fret (marker)

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I think I saw someone say that it balances better if you hook BOTH ends of the strap to the strap button at the base of the neck, and just don't use the one att the butt end.

Mine came with a metal bar added by its former owner that extends the strap hanging point further up behind the neck. It balances perfectly with no hands. If anyone wants, I will publish or email the dimensions of this bar.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, it will probably never stay in tune long - depending on what you mean by long.
    The strings are rubber, and rubber creeps a lot more than steel. Just like nylon or any other polymer. And the warmer and/or higher tension, the more it will creep. Creep is that the strings will stretch, thus losing in tension & frequency.
    I'd suggest that you tune down your Ashbory when you store it. That may help the strings to last longer. You'll have to tune in every time, anyway.