1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Ashdown MiBass 550 Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Dec 23, 2011.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    My Ashdown MiBass 550 Experience
    I recently received a Ashdown MiBass 550. A nice size micro amp and it's not heavy but it seems to be built like a mini tank I wouldn't worry to much about serious damage to it if it were to hit the floor. I spent some time with it just playing it solo(not in a band context) through a Ashdown CL610. After 5 minutes it is strongly evident that it is indeed related to Ashdown. The MiBass 550 has that low end thump and thickness that so many associate with Ashdown. I utilized various techniques and the MiBass 550 was definitely hanging. .

The next day I used the MiBass 550 in rehearsal with my band. Bass, drums and guitar( the vocalist wasn't there). Most of the music is very high energetic and aggressive with the bass very driving. With bass effects used on some of the songs sparingly. After spending so many years playing various Ashdown bass heads this little amp let it be known that it is no slouch.. Even though the Ashdown MiBass is a class D amp the low end thump was there. Now does it sound like a solid state or tube amp? I think most would agree by sound alone that it does deliver the low end and balanced highs and mids and at the end of the day I think it would pass with most players who can respect the MiBass for what it is, A micro class D amp that sounds extremely close to the big boys. If you're looking for a bass amp and in this case a class D amp with a lot of highs that can get to the point of brittle with no low end or mid balance or just basically an uneven eq spectrum this is not the amp for you.

The eq seems to do what it's suppose to do and in a good way. Overall a well balance eq system that shows through sound and versatility that it is connected to the amp. The bass is definitely warm and for a little more added thickness in the bass frequency department, if you engage the deep button you seriously will notice a difference in the low end. The mids controls does deliver that mid range growl softly or that just a little more growl added if needed. The highs are evenly balanced and not brittle at all.

I used my Xotic 4 string (ash body, maple fb) with the Hipshot double D-tuner, allowing me to drop my E and A string down to C# and F#.

Does Ashdown deliver in the micro amp department? I would give a huge yes.

If you want that Ashdown thump in a well balanced tonally compact amp, Ashdown definitely delivers through the MiBass series.

And I'm basing my MiBass 550 experience after having been an Ashdown user and endorser since 1998.

2. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine
    Great review, Jauqo.

The Ashdown ABM EVO II 500 is my amp of choice these days. If their micro head can hang with that, I would definitely consider getting one at some point.

Thanks for sharing.

Blountedge

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You're vry welcome.

And seriously if you're digging the ABM EVO 500 series and you get the chance to A/B a Mibass 550 against it definitely give it a spin.

4. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Nice review. I have some questions about the aux input. What was the final size used and does it come out of the speakers and XLR or just the headphones? I want to run my keyboards live and have them go to the speakers and XLR with out the front panel eq. Thanks.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Thank You.

On the front of the amp to the right is a 1/4" jack input, Just plug in (or use the appropriate jack) and if you're running a keyboard or cd it comes through the speakers and you can use the line knob to adjust the volume output.

6. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Nice review, sounds like a killer little amp.

7. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Sweet. I use a Mag600 and run a mixer in the effects loop. would love to cut down on weight and size.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

There is a return and send on the back.

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    So this little guy has three parametric EQs, right? That seems like it would give you a fair amount of versatility. Are the input and output dials the same as gain and master volume?

The 550 is in to 4 ohms, I assume? Any idea how much in to 8 ohms?

Thanks for the review!

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Yes you do.

Yes they are.

Possibly around 26-280.

You're welcome.

11. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Hi Jauqo,

Is this amp "very loud" or just "loud enough" or "plenty loud of bunches of unlimited carrots" ?

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

It can get pretty loud but it depends if your bass is active or passive. And you have set the active/passive and shape button accordingly. Today I was playing my 8 string(tuned low B-high Bb) and when I solo the bridge pickup it had midrange growl for days and when I use both pickups it gets extra thick.

And this bass has a bass and treble knob and a separate bass and treble eq frequency knob (no mid nob on it).

13. SevenReasons

SevenReasons

Nov 18, 2005
    Alberta
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Guitars, Ashdown Amps
    How is the slap tone on MIBASS 550? Can you get that "modern Gospel" type of slap sound? Also being an endorser it would be cool if you did a video review covering different styles and tones and posted it up here. I know many of us would appreciate your knowledge given you long standing with the company. Cheers!

14. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    Does it have that sub harmonic feature?

Unfortunately, my experience with Ashdown is weak on the power; over-rating the power. Nice tone; just weak by about one third. 500 watts feels like 350 or a tad less. The sub octave splitter is nice. I have one on my Yorkville PA head.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I am not a slapaholic but one of the first things I check out in regards to an amp is it's versatility. I may be called on to play just about any genre and with various genre's come various techniques(as I'm sure you are aware of). To answer your question you can definitely get a modern gospel slap sound out of the Mi550. If the Mi550 couldn't deliver a good slap tone I wouldn't be using it.

I have plans to do a video review but my schedule has been a hindrance. But a new Ashdown endorser recently did some video clips utilizing the Mi550 and is slapping and it is funky. I will post the videos in this thread when they are loaded.

No it doesn't.

16. Cheers very much for the review, using a MAG EVO II 307 Combo at the moment but considering swapping for head and cab for more versatility at some point.
    So knowing about the 550 MiBass is a great help.
    Sorry to ask in your thread, just save me making a new thread maybe.
    But would you suggest i go for a second cab as the combo can take it before switching fully to cab and head, or switch to cab and head for a start.
    Right now i haven't pushed the combo as far as it can go however.
    Thanks if you take the time to reply, would be very appreciated.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I would like to respectfully suggest that you give a few of the other Ashdown amps and cabs a spin and narrow it down from there. Of course I don't know what your budget is.

The ABM EVO II 500 - solid and sound nice (no longer made but you can find used).

The ABM EVO III 500 - To my ears sounds just like the EVO II 500.

The Spyder 550 - To my ear is a little heavier sounding than the EVO 550.

MK500- no longer in production.

MiBass 550 You've read my thoughts on this amp.

The new ABM EVO 1000 Class D amp - My thoughts on this amp can be found here.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/new-ashdown-abm-1000-class-d-amp-851567/

ABM C210H-500 EVO III Combo or the ABM 115H-500 EVO III Combo.

Check out the ABM series cabs and the classic series cabs.

18. Thanks very much.
    I was definately sticking with Ashdown, I love them after getting my Combo.
    Well my budget is undecided right now if i am honest as it is just a thought to upgrade in the nearish future again.

Ill take all of them into consideration, and once i can drive i am hitting the road and going to a few ashdown suppliers in england as a bass amp roadtrip haha.

I was looking at the Classic Series Cabs, wasn't sure if they were just for the tube amps however (silly i know but i still dont know the differences quite so thought there might be special cabs for them aswell)
    Primarily i love the look of them more than the ABM and MAG cabs.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You're more than welcome.

I use various Ashdown heads with my CL610(classic series) and they sound good.

20. Hey JAUQO, nice and useful review ! I´m on the same boat with you and your fondness for Ashdown :) I had ABM EVO III and ABM cab in the past, but had to sold it. I really like the sound Ashdown ABM delivers. Big, fat and with valve drive engaged, one´s sound can be nicely driving. Today, the 550 Spyder seems to be my Ashdown favourite. After seeing and hearing the official Ashdown demo video, I fell in love with that sound. To be honest, when I saw demo video for MiBass 220 i was a bit dissapointed, because 550 Spyder sounded much more lively...But that´s just a video. Reality may be different, right ? Anyway, I appreciate your review and definitely want to try MiBass out.