Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My attempt at being funky....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by clayton, Jan 19, 2006.

1. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    ....as the title says, this is a recording done by me trying to put some funk into my playing. I've been playing for a couple of years now but I mainly play rock and stuff like that. Now I've been getting much more into funk (thanks to an old James Brown CD my dad has) and this is the first thing I've recorded trying to be funky.

So,please, tell me what you think.:help:

The song is called Bass War

http://www.soundclick.com/nisakss

Ok, here the YSI link for those who can't get into the soundclick page:

hxxp://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=089CAJ2Y3AIQJ0TKZZZBE8YJZ5

2. I just tried to listen to it, but apparently I need to register with the website first. As soon as I get an activation code, I'll let you know what I think.

3. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    weird, I've never had that problem before with Soudnclik. I'll try to download the song and upload a YSI link.

4. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    *bump* No responses...that bad, huh?:bawl:

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It wasn't awful, but it wasn't particularly funky either. Keep practicing.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ..hmmmm......

you sure?

:bag:

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, I'm sure. You have to put things in perspective... remember a certain cover of "The Final Countdown"? :)

8. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Any contructive critcism??:(

9. It's just not funky. Nice envelope filter, but remember- "The filter doesn't make the funk." There's no strong 1st beat, no hook. It's gotta groove. There's nothing technically wrong with your playing though. Keep at it, listen to some Galactic, some Graham Central Station, some P-Funk, check out the lists that are posted around here for some inspiration.

10. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    You just don't sound like your grooving. Of course, if your just getting your feet wet in the style that is not surprising. Keep up the practise and you'll come a long way.

11. Try listening to bass players who fit into the style you're trying to emulate, though don't limit yourself to them. Groove and funk are abstract terms for musical styles and elements that are somewhat hard to quantify. The longer you play the easier it is to figure out that what sounds funky might be a mix of accented and ghosted notes played behind or on top of the beat, as opposed to just saying "that's funky."

So as little help as it might be to hear, listen to and play more music, as much as you can, with time and good ears it will come to you. I'm sure others will offer better advice but that's what I can offer.

12. too bad both urls is dead, I would have liekd to have heard you.

Not bad for an mp3, but its not funk