Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My attempts at Stoner

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    http://www.myspace.com/adeadmanslament

Thoughts? It's just one song, and it's instrumental, I don't think I could find a spot for singing over that. It seems like it should be longer, but it's just to give an idea of what I'd want to do with a local act.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig that, especially when you went into the "doom-y" section after the A section.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My confession: I submitted that song to a local group looking for a... second guitarist...

:bag:

So this was my audition. They want to jam with me now. I made the song kind of like a exerpt kind of deal. Instead of fading out, I'd like it to kick into a grooving riff. It's just so disappointing to use fake drums. Like, it makes me not want to go any further.

But we'll see how it goes, me being a guitarist. It will be so hard for me, because I have little passion for guitar.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It sounds pretty good I have to say. What kind of voice does the singer have? Are we looking at a clean voice, or more something like a Doom Metal/Stoner Metal kind of guy?

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The bass sounded pretty good, and the drums weren't that bad (though they at times made it sound more 'industrial' than 'stoner).

I didn't like the guitar much, the part itself was kind of uninteresting and I didn't dig the tone at all. It sounded too conventional to me.

Not a bad start though.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for listening:

The singer is kinda gruff, but in Doom terms, he'd be put under "Clean Voice" He's got a Kyuss/Fu Manchu kinda voice.

Will, could you be more Specific about the guitar? What would have made it more interesting? What should be fixed about my tone?

I was recording direct because I don't have a mic, so I didn't have the required sustain, I know that's for sure. And in my defense, I was auditioning to be a rhythm guitarist. But any further explaination would be greatly greatly appreicated. (I don't know what makes good guitar)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I could add this to the "You know you're a bassist if" thread... even though I love their music, I turned down the gig. I can't take it, I need to be a bassist. I mean, I technically would only need to have 3 hour jams and 1 hour gigs like once a week. But I'd want to practice... good guitarists do that I'm told... meaning I'd have to cut back on my bassin'... nah.

So I bit the bullet and told them thanks but no thanks... if only they were lookin for a bassist.

8. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Good man!

Glad you're sticking to your passion. =)

9. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The guitar sounds too thin for my liking, too compressed. In particular during the intro (until about 0:38) and the main "chugga chugga" part. I don't like so much midrange in guitar tones.

I've listened a few times and I think the main problem I had at the beginning was that the guitars don't sit in the mix well, they kind of step on the toes of other instruments or feel 'redundant', the main focus of the track is obviously the bass and maybe the drums. But that's not really fair if this is a one-off demo track, it's just what immediately struck me as being not right with this track.

Aside from the recording issues, which are kind of moot. I felt the 'chugga-chugga' part was very 'by the books'. It's not bad, it just isn't that interesting, if you maybe switched the part up, threw in a weird chord, or changed the tempo on a certain part, something to shake people up and be like "hmm, what was that?"

The 'doom part' from about 0:50-1:05 (not that accurate, but about) are pretty good, as is the part that I'll call "Mars Volta-esque", from around 1:45 to the end. I was kind of impressed with those two parts, I don't know how long you've been playing guitar, but I though you pulled off those two parts of the song well.

Just my $0.02

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the in depth review... it helps a lot! I very very very rarely play guitar, I've been playing bass for 5. So if you were to disassemble the parts of that time I've devoted to guitar, you'd have under a year.

The chugga bits I agree are generic, the band was to be a hard rock kind of deal. They are boring, but the only thing I can defend that against is I kinda sold those parts as "These are parts where a singer would sing."

OoOooOoOooOoOoOoOoh, Mars Volta esque: I'm so Nu Prog. :D

I agree, my tone sucks, I've spent so much time listening to bassists on recordings, that I don't really think about what makes good guitar tone. It's something I've been meaning to research.

11. It was pretty cool. Sounded kinda like a Ministry riff. You need to beef up the tone though, like Will said, its thin.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... check out the kid who befriended me because I listed ICP as an influence (I really don't think he listened to my song)

Here's his tounge:

[​IMG]

13. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    People who have their tongue's split have too much free-time.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They also enjoy looking stupid. I'm sure that's going to be punk rawk when he's 30 and finally decides he should look for a job and move out of mom's basement. That's the first pic I've seen of it looking so... bad. It's such a jagged, uneven cut.