Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Avatar came this noon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Jun 14, 2003.

1. It's the CB115. Most of you know I'm using a Hartke 3500 for this. Right now Im pushing 240 watts into it. I've been using it in my room, not that loud, but I can't turn the volume past 1 without pissing off my mom and dad... And they dont mind hearing me play if their watching TV, just as long as its less than half the volume of the TV. I can picture this thing being able to crank up. Havent plugged my upright into it yet, but it's really got some sick bass on my five string. Pretty tight if you EQ it right, you really have to do some EQing though, keeping things as flat as possible on your bass for it to do some justice on the higher notes, which is kinda pushing me to think I need a high end driver. I don't really want a 'tweeter' but I'd like some kind of 2x8 cab. It's pretty good for slap, but thats where you need smaller drivers. So far Im thrilled, it puts every combo I've played to shame. I'd reccomend another cab with smaller speakers and maybe a tweeter in it if you play above the 12th fret at all. But it's doing my intended purpose, to groove, which is what every bassist should worry about before soloing up high. Its a sweet cab, very boomy, a lot of low end, and Im sure the EQing issues with the treble wont be such a problem when turned up and in a larger room. I'm loving it. I can't picture myself ever cranking the hartke past 2.5 or 3. Its got a lot more volume capabilities than the VX115 hartke cab I played through at Samash. I'll be posting a review on HC's User Reviews section sometime in the upcoming week if you want to hear more about it. It handles a 5 string so well for this price/for ANY price. Much better than a lot of other 15" drivers Ive played through... I honestly cant picture getting his regular B115 cab without a tweeter in it or having smaller drivers on top, its a bigger cab and will go lower, and will probably not do much good with upper registers. Again, maybe its the issue of having to turn up and be in a larger room in a band situation. I'm loving it. I'd reccomend it... I'd reccomend it with a tweeter if you do a lot of slapping and dont want two cabs...

Dave's the man

:cool:

I wish I had a digi. camera... the thing looks/sounds sweet overall

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Interesting, sounds like it would make a good cab to put under a 2x10.

3. hehe,just as I expected...

man,it sounds sweet as hell dude,I can't wait until I get my set-up!

the 210(tweeter) and 115 will be soooo sweet...

Congrats on the cab man...

:oops:

4. it makes me feel naughty;)

5. eww:)

6. ok, I finally have some pictures:D everyone on Harmony Central hates me so Ill brag here;)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. UPDATE:

Sounds awesome when turned up... Good stuff... Excellent Low B response as well as managing upright bass quite well... Can't wait to put it to work in a rock situation. This will fill up some rooms for sure, but I'd reccomend that cb112 to go along with it for rock situations... Good alone, but I can imagine what kind of stuff this can do paired with the 12, or even another 15. I'd get another 15 to go with this with a tweeter, but maybe the 112 would be better to even things out. I'd personally like to see Dave get some 1x10 cabs out there to pair with his CB cabs. Or even a 2x10 that matches up better with the CB's. I think a 2x8 would be better though... Dave should get some 2x8 cabs out there;), just as long as he mentions it's purpose is to even tone out with a sub...

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    :) :) :) :)

I'm glad that you are open minded enough after your initial reaction to my "Avatar infomercial" to check out Avatars.

The CB112 would do well for highs as would the B210 although the 2x10 is physically larger and may look odd on top.

Enjoy your new cabinet!!!!

9. Im enjoying it. I don't think its that tight, but it gets the sound out well... It's just not that great for higher notes unless you EQ it a lot, but then you lose your bottom end. Im thinking the tweeter may have been something to consider. However, its a good cab and I'll probably add another cab for higher end.

Someone on here owns a CB setup, a 115 and a 112 setup and flips them on their side. The dimensions of the CB115 isnt that much off from the 210, and when flipped it could look close to normal. Im liking it, but I could use more highs.

10. There is so much talk about Avatar's, we should just make all these threads into a very big one, and stick it on the top

11. I can say the same thing about ampeg my friend, how bout we give ampeg a single thread at the top?

12. Lets combine the 2, Ampatar!!!:D :ninja: :smug:

13. :bassist: :hyper:

14. man...I wanna play an avatar badly...

:bawl:

:oops:

15. I want my SVT3 and Avatar 410, but I don't want to pay for it....:meh:

16. youll have to buy one...;)

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Now that Dave is offering the compact 15 with a horn, this is the version I'd suggest to anyone. You can always attenuate the horn, but it really opens up the highs.

Kim

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree! Avatar Speakers is the sleeper company of the year!! Quality cabinets at affordable prices!! What more can a working stiff ask for!! I love my cabinets!

Dave is the man!

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's a pic of mine!