My B.B. King Experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, May 2, 2002.

1. So I finished up my couple of shows mixing the King of the blues yesterday and I have to say that despite a few problems, it was an exceptionally enjoyable gig. We did Saint John, New Brunswick Tuesday night and Halifax, Nova Scotia last night. We got shafted by the promoter for local crew in Saint John. Three guys to unload a 53 foot trailer full of PA and lighting, plus riggers. Lovely :rolleyes: Despite that we managed to get the PA flown and working in 4 hours. B.B. king's band didn't do a soundcheck. His band leader came in to make sure that the monitors were OK. Alls I can say is they were danged loud on stage! Picky too, the monitor guy had a busy night. At the end of the first show, we spoke to B.B. and the band and they shook our hands and said that everything was great! Really nice people, good to see. His band was unbelievably good. nine pieces: Drums, bass, keys, rythm guitar, 4 horns and B.B. They played close to 2 hours and were absolutely smokin'! B.B. was a bit rough right at the beginning but when he got warmed up he was amazing! Best dynamics control of any band I've ever seen. The bass player played a surf green Jazz with Basslines pickups, it sounded great and he's a great player! Musically, a totally class act. I really enjoyed mixing them. I got many compliments on the sound at both shows, which doesn't happen often. Live sound is a thankless job most of the time. We take a lot of abuse, and a lot of the time it is unfounded. But many people made the effort to compliment me. I was totally flattered. A review in a local paper said it was the best live sound the reviewer had ever heard! I cut the article out:D. For anyone who's into live sound, the Midas XL-4 is the holy grail of mixing consoles! It was my first time actually mixing on it because we just got it recently. It's sonically amazing with the best EQ ever.... I guess it better be for $150 000 :D :p. It was a really cool experience overall, just thought I'd share!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Way to go, Mark! Glad to hear you were a big hit.:cool:
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, you coulda bought a Mackie 56 - 8 bus, and pocketed the other $145,000.
  4. Nah- he knows if he got $145,000, he'd have to take us all out to dinner, and we'd always be hitting him up for string money.
  5. Yeah, but then I'd have a non-modular, poorly built console with marginal preamps, lame EQ, 1/3 the aux sends, no automation or flying faders, no VCAs and 0 rider acceptance that would spend more time on the bench than in the field....... I guess it's a moot point though, because if I had the cash I wouldn't buy a Midas or a Mackie. I'd spend it at the dog track........
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    good to hear this great experience!!!
  7. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I just came from a concert in Bristol, TN first I heard the mark selby band then the Fabolus Thunderbirds there bass player seemed to be playing a sting model fender. Then I saw BB King. What a performance!!! The downfall was there was some feedback from the PA about 4 times. Their bass player played the surf green Jazz and played non stop. When one song ended he kept playing those 12 bars blues untill the next song started. BB would talk for a few minutes and he was still playing. It was a concert of a lifetime. It started at 7:30 and ended about midnight.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aside from my wise-a$$ remarks, it sounds like you had a great time. I just mixed an Iranian folk band (on my Mackie board) a couple weeks ago and had a blast. The music's a bit unusual, though. I managed to catch a few tracks on my ADAT, and they didn't turn out half bad.

Marginal pre-amps, huh? I thought it was the ribbon cables. Oh well. I only paid $900 for my board, and I've still got my $149,100. Ooops.
  9. It wouldn't be any fun if you didn't make wise-a$$ remarks :D. Ribbon cables too? I like Mackie stuff generally. Good bang for the buck. Maybe they should give up on the large format desks though..... Pretty much any preamps are marginal compared to Midas preamps (live anyway).
    I had a great time except for the lack of labour and sleep! That's the glamourous exciting music business for ya, though. Yeah, I like the $150 000 console, but I'd rather have the cash.... That's like $4 000 000 up here these days! Iranian Folk? Sounds like it could be fairly different. As long as you had fun!

10. Note to self: Sell munji some swamp land in kansas!