1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My B string /Fender MIA Dlx Jazz SUCKS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I noticed that acoustically the B sounds fine in comparison to the other strings. Its when I plug it in that the B goes dead and lowers in volume compared to the other strings.

Is this a function of the pickups? The pickup height is in the neighborhood so thats not a factor. The bass is a 2001 MIA deluxe jazz. I'm thinking maybe a switch to SD would be in order but I hate to spend the $$ if my hypothesis is incorrect.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As an experiment, try swapping the positions of the B-string and E-string (the B-string probably won't fit in the nut slot properly, but it shouldn't be a big deal for this experiment). If the E-string (in the -B- slot) has the same lower output, then it's a pickup problem. If the B-string still sounds "dead" (in the -E- slot), It may just be the string.