Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My B string /Fender MIA Dlx Jazz SUCKS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I noticed that acoustically the B sounds fine in comparison to the other strings. Its when I plug it in that the B goes dead and lowers in volume compared to the other strings.

Is this a function of the pickups? The pickup height is in the neighborhood so thats not a factor. The bass is a 2001 MIA deluxe jazz. I'm thinking maybe a switch to SD would be in order but I hate to spend the $$ if my hypothesis is incorrect.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As an experiment, try swapping the positions of the B-string and E-string (the B-string probably won't fit in the nut slot properly, but it shouldn't be a big deal for this experiment). If the E-string (in the -B- slot) has the same lower output, then it's a pickup problem. If the B-string still sounds "dead" (in the -E- slot), It may just be the string.