Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My B string is to big for my bridge and nut. Now what do I do???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mo' bass, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I hope somebody can give me a clue on what to do. I have put a set of Elixer strings on my fretless Cort Artisan 5. All strings fit perfectly except for the B (It's a .130). The nut and bridge aren't wide enough for this string. How do I solve the problems??? For filing the nut there are 3 options. 1: Keep the existing center 2: move the center closer to the E string 3: move the center closer to the edge. (I hope you're still with me here...). What's best??? And what can I do about the bridge??

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like you really need to get a set with a tapered B - a lot of string makers have gone over to this now - all the sets I get from D'Addario now with a 130 B string, have a tapered core. Maybe you could swap it for another set?

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I had the same problem and I also solved it by getting with the Tapered B String program.A nice bonus is that the notes sound clearer to me than before when I tried to use non tapered strings.

4. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Thanx for your input guys. I am using a tapered B on my Warwick so I know that these sound better. It's just that I wanted to test the Elixer strings with the Polyweb coating. There used to be a non-tapered .125 on it so the .130 almost fits. I can still get the string in the bridge but it sticks out about 2 cm behind the bridge because the wrap wire at the end of the string is too think. I've already gigged with it and it stays in tune. So I *think* I can live with the bridge part. I'm just gone file the nut a little and see how that goes.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - it's easy to take material off of a nut, but not so easy to put it back. What are you going to do if you want to go back? One of the worst things is to have a nut with a slot too big for the strings - this can lead to very irritating buzzes!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You could still fill it up with Superglue and file it back, the how-to was described in one of Steward-McDonald's catalogs. But - as always - when in doubt go to your local repairman.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well I think the point is that, in the long run it's going to be cheaper and safer to just get string sets with a tapered B, rather than messing about with altering the bridge and nut, which could require a professional to fix it, if it goes wrong. Strings - cheap, bridge and nut can be costly to fix!

8. i agree with bruce, seems like there really isn't a reason to go into the point of no return just for a set of strings, i tried the elixers and didn't really like the slickness, i guess i like the pain and suffering the normal strings give me, well got to go my girl freind is hitting me with her whip, darn she looks good in leather