Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "B" string sounds "hollow"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Casey C., Feb 17, 2001.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Im not quite sure if this is normal, but my low "b" on my carvin lb-75 sounds like its missing something, like its just hollow. if this is a problem, is it coming from my pickups/ electronics? I plan on getting a new bass down the road but until then Im using this bass. Can somebody help me out here?

2. In what position is your balance knob? Five-strings typically need to have the bridge pickup favored for proper B response, IME.

3. check the distance between the pickups and the strings, If the pickup is farther away from the B string than the other strings, that may have a lot to do with it.

There's a few things that would cause that "hollow sound", but try that.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Besides Herm's good advice, I'll ask ---- are they the Carvin factory strings? When I got my LB75 it took me about one day to get those roaches off and replaced with decent strings. I threw on an $11 set of webstrings.com and the sound was 100% better. Then I restrung with DR's and it improved a bit more.

Also, is this your first 5? If so, which amp do you run it through? (No profile info). The reason I ask is that the B requires an amp that packs the weight.

5. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well, i know its not the balance knob, thats normally on both pickups, but i expermented with em before but that didn't help. the string distance isn't it either. my strings are all about the same distance away and they all sound good except that B. i did replace the strings awhile ago. i put ernie balls on it. yes this is my first five string, ive had it for about 6 months now and that hollow sound is just really starting to bother me. i run it into an Ampeg B-100r and a Zoom 506II for my effects. ive tried adjusting everything envolving my eq settings. i have also raised and lowered the strings also but that didn't help. the only thing i can think of is that the string isn't perfectly "aligned" with the pickups. the only thing ive found to make it sound any bit better is to increase my midrange. but when i do that, i can't turn my amp upvery loud, nor do i like the sound of it. and if it helps any, the bass is 3 yrs old, i bought it from my step dad.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    while im at it, if the pickups/electronics are the problem, what should i look at as a replacement? (something thats cheap, please!)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh, 3 years old...can't give you any good advice on that as mine was built last fall and they've changed a lot, pickup-wise.

Something cheap? I think you'll just be substituting one problem for another. If you mean inexpensive, a lot of times, IME, pawn shops that specialize in electric guitars/basses and amps have a box full of raw pups.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your amp's a little wimpy for a fiver. I get the same sound from all of my fives into my SWR Workingman's 12. What I've found that helps a lot is a SansAmp Bass Driver DI. It really bulks up the bottom if you adjust it judiciously. That's all.