my b4r is dying!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Sep 24, 2005.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always take really good care of my gear and up until now id never had a problem with it. I figured id explain my problem to see if any of you guys had run into it. Im running my ampeg b4r bridged at 1000 watts into m ampeg 6x10hlf. I know this cab isnt rated at 1000 watts but the cab isnt being the problem, the head is. It keeps peaking out with the gain and volume halfway up. Lately it keeps going into mute mode while im playing decently loud. Anyone have any idea before i drop it off at the amp store for it to sit for 6 monthes before its repaired?
  2. I have an SVT-4 and ampeg 610, I personnaly never clip it never... but I've let some players borrow my setup at shows and when they make my head clip it is either a bass with a too strong output (in that case there's a switch to dim the input), or the guy was playing his bass with a pick and way too hard that it made the the red and green lights flash in unison quite often during shows...

So maybe your instrument is too hot or you're pounding too hard on your bass.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i mean thats what i thought but i have it plugged in the 15db pad and i barely have the gain and master just past 12. The amp should be able to be pushed much harder than that i would think.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I hope you have a waranty. There's probably a poorly soldered joint somewhere along the lines. You could probably get it fixed for free.... at least I'd hope.
  5. Cliff1908

Jun 29, 2005
    Hi there,

I've got the same setup as your rig (Ampeg B4R head and SVT 610 HLF cabinet). Till now it runs great but I think the problem can lie within the amp it self (fuse, electronic,... problem). I would have the head checked out, you never know what the problem could be. I'm very happy with the rig. The amp can be extremely loud and the cab reproduces the sound so beatifull. Take care of the rig!
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Give it a try with the power section turned up say 3/4 of the way up and bring down your preamp volume....see if that clears up the problem.