Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My baby has a brand new coat!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoolHat, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Some of you might remember that I bought an ultra-cheap Harley Benton five-stringer about a month ago. I have been very pleased with the instrument. The sound is surprisingly good and it plays like a dream. Only thing that bothered me was the appearance:

[​IMG]

Just a generic sunburst J-clone. Many people like "classic" looks and there´s nothing wrong with that. But as an pathological individualist I craved for something unique. So last friday I decided to do an Extreme Makeover...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Say hi to "Muu" - that´s Finnish for "moo" :D

It´s basically just a glue job, needlework isn´t my strong suit. I wouldn´t exactly call it a pro grade finish, but it looks pretty convincing from normal viewing distance. It certainly is good enough for stage use.

And speaking of stage use, I took her for her first gig on the very next day:

[​IMG]

http://koti.welho.com/mmeller/muu/Nakki3.jpg WARNING! Contains mild nudity!

The Muu was a success. Audience loved it, especially the girls. They found it cute and cuddly and wanted to touch it - and I was happy to oblige. There wasn´t any noticeable difference in sound, perhaps it´s a bit more creamy now ;). And let me tell you, soft and furry fabric feels much better against bare skin than a high gloss finish...

BTW, I still have lots of the fabric left. I´m thinking about covering my rack case with it...

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Excellent! I love it! Good work :D

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    great, but can you get milk out of it ?
    :D

4. Basho

Basho Guest

What did that do the sound?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You crazy Finns. Put some clothes on, you'll catch cold!

LOVE your new Finnish finish. :)

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh wow.

7. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    When you jump around on stage with it, does it play more and more like butter............sorry.

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That is so awesome. I might have to do somehting like that with my Ibanez. With a different print but something similar.

9. Mmmmm, fuzzy cow bass.

10. That's kind of neat. I would have used velcro so you could have seasonal changes.

I would be worried about Gateway Computers filing a lawsuit for trademark infringement :ninja: .

11. ZZ Top called, they want their fuzzy bass back :smug:
    Very awesome idea, a cow finish can never be a bad idea.

12. Ole Mc Coolhat had a farm
    and on his farm he had a cowbass
    with a thump thump here
    and a slap slap there
    eieiooooo

Love it!

13. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Wow!!

Just wow!!

14. I liked it a little more at first, but it looks good. I happen to have a cow suit if you're interested.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That is cool. CoolHat, I think it's an awesome story how you took a badly cared for cheap bass and turned it around into a original and very cool piece of gear. The cow motif may not be my cup of tea, but I can always applaud originality. I think originality is the key word of the day what with this and Dirk's Hippo bass.

Cute and fuzzy...that's one excellent way to attract the ladies, and there's no deception (i.e. a single guy wearing a wedding band to try and get some.)

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Considering my nick, you'd think I'd have one like that.

17. Hey
    That is so cute loL! Hey Villmah! Tash thinks its cute too :S LOl!
    Thanks
    TRoy

18. Well I like it too! Nice job man! And just think about that cow suit, the combo would be amazing. :)
    How many pieces of material was that? Just curious how you manged to hide the pieces. The only downside I could see would be after a while it might get a bit funky with the sweat, but then again you could always spray it down with cologne or lysol.
    Have fun with it!
    Dirk

19. All I can say is YUK!!!

How do you clean it when it gets dirty? Throw it in the washing machine?

Nope, sorry man, I don't like it at all.

20. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I love you.