My baby is broken!! Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Beersurgeon, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Hi,

I have a G&L L-2500 tribby that is having some issues. I replaced the battery a couple days ago and since, the only way to get any volume for it is to have the bass, treble, and volume turned all the way up. I have tried different batteries and have the same issue with the batteries being brand new and full of energy. I have never had a problem with this bass until now and I need her back!!

Any ideas?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Look for dirty contacts and loose solder joints. Good luck.

Beersurgeon likes this.
  3. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    This sounds like a classic loose connection. Best bet would be to open it up and investigate. I'll plug mine in with it opened up, and jiggle the wires. Do it, and you'll know instantly if it's a loose connection.

Could also be dirty pots, but if you're not getting crackling or weird results when you turn them, then it's not as likely. Good luck!

Beersurgeon likes this.
  4. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    I have open her up and all the joints and connections look good. I have had some crackling from the treble pot before this occurred. I keep going to the connector for the battery being the issue.

akrachanko likes this.
  5. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    squirt some DeoxIT into the pots just to be sure. plug it in and wiggle the wires about -looks are decieving sometimes. check instrument cable and amp jack, amp to speaker wires if applicable.

next move would be to whip out the multimeter.

6. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Worst case scenario, the preamp is fried, but they do sell replacement preamps. I had to replace the one in my 83’ L2k after 30 years, not a bad lifespan.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021