Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my back! cab suggestions- 6x10 to ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bibby, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    right now i'm using an ashdown 500 >swr goliath 6x10. the sound is killer but the 6x10 + steps + 1 person is not happening. i am thinking of downsizing, maybe to 1 or 2 small cabs, but i'm worried about volume loss. will a 2x10+1x15, or a 3x10/4x10 be significantly quiet in comparison? any brand suggestions? the epifani 3x10 looks appealing, but again, i'm not sure about volume loss. i'm open to all suggestions.
    thanks,
    -bibby

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Boy can I relate. I use a 2x15 and a 6x10, both Mesa-Boogies, and zowie! They are just gawd-awful heavy. I love them so much though and have help carrying them so I put up with all the related Bullsh!t. I doubt that a good 4x10 would give you any less volume. The tone could be effected but only marginally. If the size issue is too annoying then I would recommend downsizing to a 4x10 cab or that 3x10 you mention (sorry, I'm not familiar with it). You'll hardly notice the difference and will save lots of money on chiropractic bills.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    try either 2 4X10s or maybe 3 2X10 if you can afford it & if it's logical/possible. Or get one of those push carts & only play places with elevators & handicap accessable places so you can use the ramp. good luck

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We've done this one before, but try a 210 and a 410. That way, you can take one, the other, or both, depending on the venue. I use Eden XLT's of each size, and I don't need no steenkeeng 15's.

5. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    thanks guys, points well taken. yeah, i'm sure i'm beating a dead horse here, but i wasn't able to find quite what i wanted in my search attempts. i was hoping a new thread would lead to further insight. the guys here know there stuff, and to tap into that knowledge is invaluable to a rookie like me thanks again!

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bibby, I have a 2X10 and a 1X15. I can't lift the 1X15 without help. I can barely lift the amplifier head for these two cabs either. The advantage of having two cabs is that I can often get by at practice with just the 2x10 and the amp head, so there is less struggle and less of having to ask people to help me. Jason Oldsted

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey Bibby, I feel your pain! I have only good things to say about my Epifani 2x12 (you did mention Epifani, didn't you?)and it sounded bigger and better than the Eden 4x10 I a/b'd it against. You may find this hard to beleive, but I'll bet that you wouldn't notice any volume limitations at all comparing your 6x10 with either the Epi. 2x12 or 3x10, though I dont have direct experience with the 3x10. I play outdoor gigs unassisted by the P.A., and they still tell me to turn down occasionally. Be confident that either the Epi. 3x10 or 2x12 will handle whatever your Ashdown can throw at them.

8. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I just bought an Epifani 3x10. Its really nice.
    I can carry it myself no problem. It only weighs 70 or 75 lbs.
    As far as sound I think you will be pleased. These things handle ALOT of power. My experience with the Goliath 6x10 is that is lacked the punch compared to the 4x10 model.
    Anyways, I think you should check out the 3x10 if you can.
    Its the perfect combination of portability and sound.

9. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    thanks for the input. i've heard only good things about epifani and will definitely check them out. as the previous owner of a full rack setup, i really like the idea simplicity. 1 bass, 1 head, 1 box- all that can be moved by me alone. but NOT at the sacrifice of volume or tone. these suggestions help greatly.
    -bibby