1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My band, and my problem...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by josbroek, Oct 7, 2009.

1. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    So i started a band with 2 class mates of mine, one plays guitar (he's an average rythm player and cant play lead or improvise for ****)
    the other one is a ginger and sings, we named the band after him, One Ginger :D

so my problem is, the ginger can't sing at all and he can't keep rythm, but he's so good at writing lyrics and stuff and he's a good friend of mine, i wouldn't want to kick him.

i asked another friend who is very good at guitar if he would join us, to play lead, he did, but now thats not really a problem.

so should i kick the ginger??? carrots??? plz opinions :p

edit: we got 7 originals, 2 wrote by the ginger, 5 by me

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I vote you don't kick the ginger.

And that you start proofreading your posts.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    "Everybody knows that gingers don`t have souls."

-Eric Cartman

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If he sucks then kick him out. Since he's soul less he won't mind.

5. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Why can't Ginger just sing for the band? Or am I missing something?

PS Shouldn't this be in the Band Management forum?

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    If you really are good friends, then tell him the truth. "Dude. I love your lyric, but you sing like crap. We need to demote you from lead singer to backup vocals. No, we aren't kicking you out. You write a great vocals, and maybe you just gotta admit where your talent lies."

7. What is "The Ginger"? If that's slang I'm obviously outta touch. But in any event, if "the ginger" can't sing boot him.

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Kill the ginger.......

Whoa my bad, guess my inner Cartman got out of control.

I have to ask though, how old are you guys?

9. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    XD i lol'd, we're 15 and the lead guitarist is 16

10. Nah, you can't kick him out- he's a friend!
    Demote him to something harmless, like percussion, or chief songwriter, manager, caterer,..you get the idea.

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Your band needs a cowbell.

Srsly.

:D

12. sirpug

sirpug

May 8, 2008
    Everett Wa
    Ginger is a term for a red head.

13. I kind of figured, but I failed to see the relevance. I for one just got handed abunch of crap I have to do by a "ginger" and I decided I don't like them. So yeah, I guess fire him. Then tell him to die his hair and come back later.

14. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    New band name: One Less Ginger

15. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    "Ginger kids eat in the hallway!"

"Yeah. Go on, beat it, re... rr-dufus!"

16. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    i hope this turns out to be a eric cartman quote thread, cause im not gonna kick the ginger, thx to him we got some gigs :p

17. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Well, here's my take on the situation. You guys are teenagers, you're not supposed to be great. And I mean, if puberty over in Belgium is anything like it is here in the US (NOTE FOR THE HUMOUR IMPARED: THIS IS BLATANT SARCASM) then him not being able to sing may or may not be his fault honestly, and timing comes with practice

18. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    +1

plus, you know why Bono Vox got that nickname, right?

19. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    A few points - having formed my first band at about the same age you are now -

Our singer at the time wasn't a terrific singer or necessarily a great guitar player, but, like your ginger, was a good song writer and lyricist. Over time he got a lot better, until we eventually disbanded, 7 different rosters and name changes and about 3 years later.

15 years later, and his singing and guitar playing is actually very good, and he is still a great songwriter. We aren't in a band together anymore, but his new band is opening for my new band in about a month, so that's cool.

Second point .. naming your band after a physical feature of a particular bandmate seems like a bad idea unless the name is truly mind-blowingly awesome.. and 'One Ginger' isn't that. If it came down to not kicking the guy out because of the name.. just change your name :)

Having said that, one of the more popular bands around here is called TAWG (Three Asians and a White Guy), and their lead singer got into the finals on Canadian Idol a few years back..

20. Adamthebassist

Adamthebassist

May 14, 2009
    Orlando
    WAIT! STOP EVERYTHING!

theres a Canadian Idol? :bag: