Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my band broke up for good today

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by discoboo, Sep 1, 2003.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    so i quit my band a few weeks ago, although i'm still playing while they audition new bassists. as you know, finding a bass player is one of the most difficult things and they haven't had any luck. well, today a fella came in and the guitar player was ready to sign him up, no questions asked. my drummer was none to happy with this because he wasn't even asked his opinion so he walked into the bathroom, collected his thoughts, went back into the garage and quit. so that's it. it is weird seeing three years of work come to an end. i must admit, for selfish reasons, that i am very happy he quit because now we can work on a project ourselves without the negative influences of the other two guys. why is it guitar players don't realize that a great rhythm section makes a great band and that just because you can play a zillion notes a second on the guitar doesn't equal great music? the bass is so overlooked yet it is the most important. when we were in the studio we had finished tracking a song and were listening to the takes and my guitarist says, "wow. i've never listened to the bass before. that sounds good." my head spun. after playing with this guy for 2 years, he tells me he's never listened to what i was playing. i figure it's because his volume is always so loud that he can't hear anything else anyway. oh man, don't get me started. anyhoo, the band is done and i'm a happier man for it. anyone else wanna bitch about their guitar player? have a nice day and thanks to all who have sense enough to lay down a groove...

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    nice job man. its nice to quit, and keep your drummer. i almost did this many-a-few time ago, but its all gravy now.

3. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    you know, playing in a band is like having multiple girlfriends. you have to keep them all happy while wondering, "what the hell am i getting out of this, other than some free drinks and a couple of bucks." of course there are always good things that come out of bad situations and meeting my drummer was one of them. it is hard to explain to people the joy of hearing a beat, throwing down a bassline, locking into a groove and filling in the blanks with whatever suits your fancy. now we can go off and see what kind of damage we can really do...woo-hoo!!!

4. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i just started gigging out a couple years ago and i LOVE it but i gotta say... being in a band is hard f****ing work.

now i know why the beatles broke up (um, except for that whole fame thing).

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Band Management...

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My drummer and I feel we could make Mickey Mouse sound good. We have had 7 guitar players in the last 10 years and finally ended up with one who is a great front man and singer. He's a keeper.:D And I agree, it would bother me deeply if after 2 years of playing together one said he had never listened to you before then. :bawl: How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? None, they just stand there and the world revolves around them.