Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band, F5, has just released their new CD. Comments?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dbalatero, Jul 6, 2004.

1. I thought I’d share with you our music, get your feedback, comments, support, whatever. My band, F5 (http://www.f5band.com), has just released our full-length LP, titled Unarmed Combat. It is 12 tracks long, and 60 minutes in length. We started recording this album back in January 2004, and started actual work on it months before. Our band is all members of Garfield High School in Seattle, WA; 6 of the 7 of us just graduated this June. All of us are members of the award-winning jazz bands and orchestras in our school, and music is a huge part of all our lives.

The band is made up of drums, latin percussion, bass, guitar, vocals, tenor sax, and alto sax. We have strong jazz, funk, latin, rock, and hip-hop influences, and each member of the band brings a diverse style to the table. Somehow, it works. For a more comprehensive biography written by our vocalist, you can check out http://www.f5band.com/biography.php.

Check out the tracks at http://www.f5band.com/listen.php. There are 2 full MP3s, and the rest are 45-second clips. If you hear something you really like from the clips though, I’d be happy to upload a full version of the song for you to listen to. If you like our music, and want to support us, consider buying a CD for cheap – but I’d be more than happy for you to just listen to it.

Oh, before anyone asks, yes, I’m the bassist in the group. Enjoy.

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Just my opinion... :)

I listened to three tracks - all the girls are screaming for... keg o funk... and wombat hoes

You all sound like good players, obviously, nice bass playing too :)

My main criticism - and I feel pretty strongly about this - quite often it's WAY too busy, every instrument sounds like it's trying to fill every possible space. There doesnt feel as tho there's any room for the music to breath - sometiems it's OK, but overall there's not nearly enough space. The drummer really needs to let up and just play a groove at times too.

For example: "all the girls are screaming" from 32 seconds onwards for about 20 secs is just painfully busy. I can hear what your doing there with the guitar and horn, but it's too much, imo.
    The outro of this track is great tho, I like that a lot :)

In terms of style, nothing really strikes me, good or bad, it feels like early 80's white funk, so, and to be honest, it seems very dated to me (and I'm in the UK! :D )
    I also dont like the guitarists sound or the vocals at all. The singer sounds like Anthony Kiedis, in every respect.. take the keg o funk sample from 28 seconds onwards as an example

Overall, the busy-ness ruined it for me, which is a shame cause there's lot's of nice compenant parts... The bass should be way up in the mix.. and the guitar should go down a bit I think.. but then I dont know sh~t about mixing!!

Was it produced at all, or just recorded "as live"?

thanks very much for sharing, by the way.. cool :)
    H

3. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Hah ahahaaa.... "dated." Sorry, just a funny discussion of Ben Strange's music in another thread and that word has come up.

I listened to Girls Screaming, love me down, and melcrypto...

I liked it. I'm not quite sure I see the Kiedis influence, but I haven't listened to keg.

I really like the instrumentation, and the arrangements. In fact, I love the guitarist's tone.

Never struck me as incredibly busy. Busy, yes, but not deal breaking.

My view may be skewed however, I listen to a lot of Primus.

Thumbs up, I may pick it up.

4. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    i agree wid howard k!

anthony kiedis..lol..kindaa yeh, i dint notice it until u told me but i get ur drift.

pretty kool tho!