1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my band has made me get rid of my flatwounds.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mr mastodon, Oct 12, 2009.

1. i need to get a set of rounds. i was just wondering if, in a last ditch effort, there's anything i can do to find a decent halfway point. i know there are groundwounds and halfwounds. can anything give me the zing and chug of roundwounds while still being suitable for playing jazz in my ensemble. i don't want to have to switch the strings back and forth on a daily basis, but i will if necessary.

2. Socalef9

Socalef9

May 16, 2009
    d'adario half rounds, have a nice thump but still enough zing to cut through the mix nicely

3. cool. i'll see if any stores here have 'em.

also, WHO makes groundwounds? i can't seem to find any on the web. even at juststrings which i thought was bizarre.

4. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    If I were you, I'd probably just get a cheap sx to keep the rounds on for the band, then keep the flats on the fender.

Or vice versa.

5. ahhh. unfortunately that's not in the budget. i guess i could always use my first bass (a cheap aria) and put rounds on it. it has a decent tone and i recorded our first two songs with it.

6. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    GHS has the Pressurewounds.....quite nice. Buttery bottom with a bit of zing. These are quickly becoming my new fav string.

SIT has ones called 'Silencers'. I like them a lot too but not as much zing as the Pressurewounds.

7. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    +1 on using two basses

8. Sharkman

Sharkman

Apr 23, 2004
    Portugal
    another +1 on two basses.

Once my drummer told me he didn't like my "strange flat sound", and the I should change....

I told him to f*** off.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The guys in my main band told me they like me better with rounds. I went with it...I don't care.

But if you want a flat that sounds like rounds, the D'addario Half Rounds are very good, but I think the TI Jazz Flats are even better for imitating rounds. They sound just like rounds to me. They feel really creepy under your fingers, and ultimately I decided that I hated them, but they sound like rounds and they keep that sound forever.

10. +1

I actually just picked up a set of these about 2 weeks ago and am practically in love. I've played them at band practice (mainstream rock sound), a 60s/70s psychedelic-ish jam session, and a blues/jazz jam session this past week and loved my sound in all 3 scenarios. They're incredible versatile, and have a nice fat feel under your fingers, which is always a good thing, imo. Check them out for sure.

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Mine, too.

I have gone back and forth with rounds and flats for years, and finally have settled on compression wound strings. GHS or Smith brand (I think they may be the same string). A great compromise between rounds and flats.

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I am curious as to what kind of music your band plays that flats were not a fit.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    To stay on topic, pressure wounds.
    Now to side track... How the heck did the conversation go when your band "made you ged rid of your flat wounds"? I'll admit, I didn't really "get" flats until recently. They probably hear you noodle something by yourself and that tone isn't great. But NOTHING sits in a mix better than a Fender with flats.

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Are they really making you or is this something you all agree on ? I don't mind constructive critisism but the min. someone tells me I have to do something in relation to my equipment there will be a problem. :ninja: Having said that string one of your basses with flats the other rounds.

15. Dean Markley Ground Wounds - they have been making them for years - try a set. The core side is round and the finger side is ground - essentially rounds incognito.

16. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Funny I am in a similar boat myself. I got a brand new G&L L2000 and decided since i have a L2500 (with rounds) that Ill throw on a pair of Chromes on the new bass. Took it to practice last night and I got comments that my bass didnt sound like it normally does. Im still a little torn though because I do and will be using two basses, but after 23 years of rounds, I guess Im just not used to the sound of flats yet.

17. BarkSlayer

BarkSlayer

Dec 23, 2008
    Northwest Ohio

18. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    2 days ago I took TIJFs off and put rounds. I don't think TIs sound *anything* like rounds. They are the epitome of flats.

19. Woodyrson

Woodyrson Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2009
    :D Now that is funny! I think I may sig that.

But, back on topic, I would go with two basses as well, even if the other one is a cheaper bass. Heck, if you recorded your first two songs with it, it can't be that bad. Plus, the vast majority of the audience wouldn't be able to tell a difference between your Aria and a $7000 custom hand built bass anyway.

20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Another thing to consider... pulling roundwounds off and on tends to kill them sooner due to the retentioning. They'll last much longer if you just leave them on.

Personally, (if you like the feel of flats), I'd look at something like D'addario Chromes that are much brighter flatwounds. Or SIT Silencers that are much smoother feeling groundwound/halfwound type strings.