1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My band has two new tunes up!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Duncorama, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Helloooooo, i'm a long time botherer of knowledge on this here board, i'm an a band called Apes Fight Back, we're a two piece (drums and Bass Guitar) and we've just put up two new tunes on thee old myspace.
    Check them out and let me know if you like/dislike etc!

www.myspace.com/apesfightback

2. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Aaaaaaanyone?

3. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I don't like the screaming.

4. i like it.

I love bass/drum bands.

Kinda hard to avoid the " reminds me of Lightning Bolt or DFA1979" thing...

The vox sound like Justin from Swing Kids/The Locust :D

Wish i could find a drummer... i've wanted to do a throwback powerviolence thing for EVER... I digress though...

It's good!

5. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Cheers! We never really meant it to come out as agressive as that but that's how we ended up writting the tunes.
    As for the screaming, we don't know anyone who can sing like we like soooooo we decided to scream as niether of us can hold a note and we didnm't want to be instrumental.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I dig it. Hardcore fuzzy bits with a brief Ruins interlude.

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    dig it!

8. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Thanks again, i'm still unsure about the recordings, i wanted something a lot more raw sounding along the lines of Pissed Jeans kind of 'live' sound but to be honest i'm just glad we've got newer songs up for people to hear!

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  10. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    Nice tunes, keep em coming.

11. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    I've never listened to the Locust but they played ATP Nightmare before christmas last year and they blew me away, just the whole spectacle of their live show was really intense.
    Any ideas where i should start in terms of buying their albums?

Cheers for the comments guys!

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Subscribed, don't have the time to listen right now but I want to make sure I can reference this thread to do so.

Liked your music for quite some time, someone on here pointed me in the direction of your band quite awhile ago and I definitely dig it. Will give thoughts on the new recordings in the AM... STOKED!

-Benny

13. DubBassfunk

DubBassfunk

Apr 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    i dig it

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I don't own any of their material, have only seen them live - they're semi-local to the area.

You guys obviously have a similar goals in terms of intensity it seems. I'm impressed that you guys have as "full" a sound with half the instruments. Like most bassists on here I toy with the idea of starting a duo, you're giving me hope.

15. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    You should definately go for it, we never intended to be a duo but we haven't yet decided to look for anyone else to play with us like.

I like the sound i have at the moment but i'm looking for something else to replace my main distortion, something nastier sounding with a bit more of a dynamic feel to it.

It's really hard to explain without knowing what i'm talking about but like the main pedal i use at the moment has one sound whether i'm playing high notes or low ones whereas i'd like something that makes the highs really ear piercing and the lows proper gut rattling.

Anyone any ideas?

16. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    it's nice and raw. i like it a lot. i was wondering how it comes across live? do you drop one of the lines or are you able to cover both? and sing?:bassist: that's awesome! to paraphrase a recent thread: i'm not shure if it's art but i certainly do like it!

17. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Cheers boss! How do mean drop lines? Do you mean the vocals?
    The drummer does the main vocal, when we do it live he tends to do almost all of it except for bits with laods of drumming where we split the lines between us like.

18. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    there's 2 bass lines in those recordings(like a bass and lead) so if you can pull all that off at once, right on! maybe i'm not hearing it right but it sounds like live something would have to go, you'd have to use a sequencer or be a bmf(even more than the average bmf) to do all that. unless you used a lot of effects that i don't even think about with bass? big pedal board?

19. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Ah right, no the music on those recordings was all done live except for 2 bits in each tune where i did an over dub of one extra track to thicken it up a bit.
    Pedal wise i use 3 different distortionn/ooverdrive pedals.

20. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    well that's awesome! i went back and listened again, still like it!