My band has upset a club owner.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Our friends' band had highly recommended my band to a local lodge owner. We took the opportunity and played at the lodge about 6 different times over the last year and a half. It's a one-nighter (Sat. night only) that pays reasonable, with a good-sized stage. The lodge owner, who is uncommonly nice I might add, was thrilled with our performances, and always wants us to play big events at his lodge. He said the people loved us, and keep asking when we will be back. :cool: :)

Sure, it is nice to book a weekend (or better yet a double weekend) that pays well. Several nights with one setup teardown is a blessing. But, once in awhile it is nice to have Friday off, (a pizza - movie - beer with friends and family) then play Sat. night only.

I keep getting calls from the lodge owner about available dates, check with my bandmembers to see if they have plans, etc. and they keep blowing off this lodge gig. Well, I had to call and turn them down just today the lodge owner was not pleased. :meh: After being told no several times, he had enough and probably won't book us again. I sent an email to my bandmates to let them know we can forget about playing there....

No fun being the bearer of bad news, I feel bad about letting the lodge owner down. I also feel like we will be disappointing my friends' band (who highly recommended us) because of this situation. :meh:

What to do ((sigh))

2. ITs a business. I'd be telling my bandmates " This guy has offered us work, you got to get proirities right". Are they serious or are they goofing around. If the band gives you greif, well find a side band and do the gig with them. Sounds like a sweet cruisy gig, and they are the ones to get. Be a shame to lose it. Shame on the band mates
  3. If it happened today, get onto it today with the bandguys, better still get off the forum now and kick em in the butt, still might be able to salvage it.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If they don't take a show that was handed to them, then they are stupid. I quit a band because they were booking gigs 250 miles away, and we never got paid. They were making sucky deals, and all kinds of crap like that. I'd would have loved to have a gig set up like that. My new band is gonna be great. but that's another thread.
  5. thats a shame man, sounds like a really good gig, those are hard to find.....
  6. In my opinion, this has escalated into a "crisis mode". Sure, once every now and then, a band has to turn down a gig. But to consistently turn down good gigs translates into one thing: the rest of the band isn't serious about playing.

I was in a similar situation ten years ago. We had a good song list, we all were getting psyched about playing out, but the lead guitar player kept finding excuses....gee, guess what, turned out he was content just to sit around, get high, and jam.

My life is too busy to commit to a band and "just jam" in a garage. If that's all a band wants to do, more power to them, but that's not for me.

My advice: actively find another band NOW. Life's too short to keep wasting time with a bunch of losers.
  7. Thanks for the advice guys.

Even though my bandmembers have let down the lodge owner as mentioned above, we play out often - 2 or 3 weekends per month, Fri/Sat nights - in other clubs. My beef isn't that my bandmates are not motivated, because all of them are. My frustration is that they have sidestepped playing at the lodge sooooo many times.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Can you think of any reason why they would actively avoid playing there?
  9. Well, I suspect that one or two bandmembers feel 'it's a drag to drive to and from the gig.' 45 min to 1 hr drive for them. Hell, I drive that far to 90% of the places we play. :rolleyes:

I'd just like to make peace with the lodge owner, and book a few weekends at clubs which are closer to my home for a change. Most of the places we play are only a 10 to 20 minute drive for the singer and guitarist (45 minutes for me and drummer). The pissing match of "who has to drive the greatest distance" is a rather insignificant point, but dissing a club owner is very significant.
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Maybe the compromise between your reluctant bandmates on the one hand and the eager club owner on the other, is to ask for more $$$?

11. Great suggestion, CovertBurro. :) Problem is, we were already one of the most expensive bands that he hires.... :oops:
  12. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    One thing to think about. Most bar owners know or at least check up on other owners. There is alot more talk between owners than people think.
  13. your band mates are being stupid and naive. good gigs are hard to find.

print out all these responses and show it to them and make them feel dumb. no musician in his or her right mind turns down a good gig, even if it is an hour away. i've got two bands from boston foaming at the mouth right now to play with us in new york.

14. Too true. it all smells of laziness, and if I were you, I 'd be very annoyed with them, esp if you are the one in charge of booking the gigs, Ungratful buggers. What you dont want to happen is your bandmates decide they have a free weekend, you ring the lodge guy and he tells you to "bite his squirrel". :(
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    45 min to an hour for gigs? Hell, I drive that for practice. I agree with Puttz and Nashville Bill.

I don't understand how musicians screw up gigs like that. My guitarist once played with a guy who had a gig at a local club in which he would perform a one man acoustic show every Sunday and make 150 dollars. This guy was so unprofessional that he eventually lost the gig. 150 dollars guranteed every week! Some people don't make that at their day jobs!
  16. venues like consistency. They prefer bands which are reliable and flexable, in regard to bookings. If a venue rings 3 times and you knock them back, what are they gonna do? Find another act. Simple.