Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band is frustrated...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by haujobb, Oct 17, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Any body else ever get sick of the attitudes of bands in your area, my band had a long discussion at practise today about where we were going in this was a big topic. We've spent the last 4 years getting where we are now and we are in a pretty good position, but we feel that the best way to advance in the music scene is to start being assholes.

I know that probably sounds bad, but we have been taking advantage of by many bands, we thought of six bands of the top of our heads that wouldn't have survived to their first show if not for us, and they just rode on our backs until they could do they're own thing. I know this is how the music business works, but of all the bands we have helped, which is at least several dozen, maybe one or two have reciprocated. It seems that everyone knows that we are the band with the hookups ( my singer is a booking agent for one of the bigger live band venues in the area, and my drummer does sound) so everyone just expects us to help they're band at no gains to us.

Theres really been two incidents that have really pissed us off, one was a band that we helped get started, set them up with shows for a year and a half straight and then one day they backed out on a show because they didn't wanna be the opener. I guess they had been pulling that alot, and are starting to lose alot of contacts in the area though.

The second incident was with a band who we set up with a show. We let them know that we were doing a HUGE show the night before, so we probably wouldn't draw a huge crowd the next day, so it was up to the other bands to draw a crowd. The night before we played a show where several hundred people attende to specifically see us and one other band, then left, so we don't have a problem drawing a crowd normally. But this night the crowd was quite small and no money was made at door, the band in question bitched and demanded to get paid regardless even though we told them that it was up to them to draw a crowd.

So anyways, does any one just get frustrated when your band works so hard, and other bands just leech off of you and don't offer anything in return.

We've decide to really toughen up, bands are gonna now be signing contacts to play at the club that guarantee a certain crowd draw or we will with hold pay. Also we are gonna start demanding shows in return and very aggressively pursue spots on bills. We know that people fear us, band brag that they're "better than us", and then get blown away. This may sound cocky, but we are the band to beat in the area and everyone knows it, so we have decided to use that to our advantage.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My band is the type that trades shows all the time. Our problem is that we are so big (8 members) we expect to play pretty much for free when we do a gig exchange. We roll in and overtake most of the other bands that say they have a draw. The point is to have the main band draw to see the new band. We draw a couple of hundred people pretty much everywhere in our extended area. To me it sounds like you are way to giving. Doing bookings for another band for a year and a half was extreme. A gig or two.

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    You've gotta do what you've gotta do. Not many bands would do the same things you guys have done, so it's time to get some kick-back in the money department. Since your singer is a booking agent, you have the upper-hand and can muscle some people around. Remember, it is a business, a mostly fun and enjoyable one, but a business.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd lighten up a little bit.

No need to be an *ssh*le but you don't need to be nice to anyone who's biting the hand that feeds, either. If someone burns me, OK I won't let them burn me twice, that's all. Why should I let them drag me down to their level?

Just because some bands have failed to appreciate your help doesn't mean ALL bands will be that way. I prefer to take the high ground and be supportive of others in respect of the way others were supportive of me.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    We're definately not going to be complete assholes, maybe just a little bit ;) I think it's like Scottie said, were at the point where it is no longer just fun and games, it's a business now and it's time to think business wise. We are releasing a full length cd soon so its esspecially important that we focus on our selves and making it a success or we are all gonna loose lots of money.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    In this business, like any other aspect of life, you need to know when to cut off the dead weight. I want to make as many friends as possible. By friends, I mean legitimate friends of course. But I keep track of every person or band that has screwed me/my band. When it comes to favors, those people are nothing to me. When people have helped me/my band, I'll remember them 3x. There's nothing wrong with humbling musicians who've gotten too big for their britches. We've done it. But the key is to try and remain as humble as you can be. People generally respect you more when you're down to earth. Besides, what's up with these local musicians having Rock Star attitudes?

We generally don't use openers for a few reasons. Mainly, we don't need them. We have more than enough material to play an entire night. Actually, I don't understand these bands that gig and don't have enough material to play a show by themselves. I can understand orginal bands who are trying to push only their originals, but cover bands: c'mon! If you don't have enough material to play three full sets, then you need to stay in the garage for a while. Second, openers were a hassle when they set up (Is there a past tense of "set"? I just didn't think that "sat" would mean the same thing. *LOL*). They always drug their asses setting up and just made our life and our soundmens' lives difficult. Lastly, nothing can be worse than having a crappy opener. We once had an opener (in a club we never played before), and a friend of the band from the area had to play "goalie" at the door because the band sucked so bad, people were actually getting up to leave before we took the stage. BTW, I'm not down on openers or anything. We rarely play openers, but when we do, we're always prompt with setup, courteous with any backline gear, and compare setlists with the head-liner as not to repeat any songs.