1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My band is going over Seas Need a Case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Sep 24, 2008.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    OK. Wrong title for this, but we have just booked 5 shows in Negril, Jamaica. I have never been overseas with my bass before. With all the new rules and such with airlines, what kind of case do I need? I have flown across country, although it was a long time ago, and once I checked it and once I just carried it on.
    Going overseas, though, I would think it would need to be checked in, so I would need a flight case, but if I have to carry it on the plane, I would just use my gig bag.
    Any help?

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
  3. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    warwick rock case flight cases are good

4. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Rondo has a nice looking flight case for $89. Can't speak to it's quality. But I did see a Les Paul guitar case from rondo that was top quality.

Good ole Rondo....

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1071.html

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Gator GPE , " The flight cases are designed to meet the new airline specifications"

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Has anyone flown overseas with their bass? What are airlines requiring? Can they be brought on or do they have to be checked in as luggage?

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  8. The last time I flew to Vegas you could only carry on items that were fairly small. The airline had a small cube like box thingy in the waiting room, and if your bag was too big to fit in it then it had to be checked in. It was much smaller than a bass. Of course I wasn't going overseas and it could have just been that particular airlines rule, but mine had to be checked in. Oh and to make matters worse, they said that I couldn't lock the case, only could wrap tape around it so they could open it and check it if need be. Talk about nervous.

9. I'd call the airline directly. Rules on airlines seemingly change non stop so I'd get the current info from them, regardless of any anecdotal info you find here.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    TSA approved locks means the TSA folks have a master key to fit your case.
    Fender's new, proprietary, SKB case has these.

BTW: congrats on working Jamaica. I need your agent's number plz;)

Calling the airline direct might be helpful, but unless you're flying direct, you're delaing with varying rules.
    I'd plan on getting a mega-case, and checking it.
    Also: insure it if it's worth much to you.
    An "inland marine" policy can be had from most anybody, cheaply, to cover whatever gear you need to travel.

11. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Just got back from Europe. Generally speaking, you should be prepared to check your bass. The funny thing is, you will be hassled more about carrying a bass on here in the States, than overseas. I've traveled all over Europe & the far-East and found that most other countries are more accommodating.

In the States, the least "cooperative" airlines are (in my experience):
    Delta (the worst)
    United
    US Air

Southwest and Frontier are very accommodating, on the other hand.

Airlines rarely stick to their "official" policies regarding carry-ons, so a protective case is in order! The sturdiest option (Anvil-type) will definitely work well & protect your instrument, but be prepared for some hefty oversize & weight fees! Plastic cases are ok, but make sure you get one that's sturdy & thick (they are not all made equal!).

I personally suggest what I've been using, the SKB Bass Safe. You keep your instrument in the gig-bag & put that in the SKB case. It's very sturdy & as long as you have a good gig-bag - it really protects your instrument!
    http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=13&o=&offset=3&c=75&s=75
    They are only around $100-$120 & well worth the investment (at least it has been for me...)! Plus, I've never been charged over-size or weight fees (technically, it is oversize, but the wedge shape seems to not trigger airline staff measuring it).

MOST IMPORTANTLY - get insurance!!! No matter how careful you are, you cannot trust airline employees, hotel staff, etc... Insurance is cheap and readily available. Make sure you get an "all-risk" policy that includes professional use. MusicPro http://www.musicproinsurance.com/ , Heritage http://www.musicins.com/
    and your local AFM musicians union are good places to start. Your homeowners insurance company may also have a plan, again - ask for "all-Risk professional use"!!!

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Im buying a SKB Tsa equipped just for this matter.. plan on moving to Boston in the summer with my band so knowing how strict some airports are im planning to play by the rules :)

13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is not the voice of experience speaking, but I'd get a moderately inexpensive bass used and ship it to the booker and pick it up there.

KO

14. musicofanatic

musicofanatic

Jun 21, 2005
    I travel by regularly, domestic and foreign with a bass gtr, and have never been refused carry-on. I always have a little "act" prepared in my head, which will involve tearful sobbing and pleading, but have never had to employ it. For me, the biggest problem is guarding against some inconsiderate schmuck fellow passenger jamming his 40 lb carry-on into the overhead my bass is in. One must be vigilant until the attendant closes it up.
    I was really surprised this year, on an overseas flight on a 767, a big plane, that the overhead storage was too short for my bass. I have flown many small planes where the overhead was plenty long. In the case of the 767, the attendants have all been accomodating and stowed my bass in the 1st class wardrobe.
    I think, more than airline policy, what you face is the good (or not so good) graces of the attendants. Unless they're having a reeeeeeely bad day, friendly courtesy on your part will genaerally get you the cooperation you desire.

15. Not international... but I've flown with my G&L in baggage just in it's SKB case several times. No problems at all. Tape the latches shut so they don't get caught on things and open up. Midwest Express, the best care in the air.

16. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    +1 It really is true that your only going to be as successful as the gate agent allows you to be! A positive friendly attitude works wonders until you come face to face with Delta's zero tolerance approach! I used to count on my "negotiating" skills to carry my bass on, but lately you just never know how cantankerous an airline employee will be after they've had their retirement package cut... :spit:

And what do you know? The only airlines actually making money are the user-friendly "budget" airlines (Southwest, etc) that actually are consistently cooperative!

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    So, if I bring my bass in it's gig bag and I get refused at the gate, then what?? If I go to just check it in, it might be a better thought?? Maybe?

18. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Often, the gate agents will allow you to "gate-check" the gigbag. Basically they take your guitar at the plane door & put it in the forward cargo hold - along with the strollers, car seats & such. I do this frequently (regional flights often have no room in the passenger compartment) and have always been fine. Just pick up your guitar as you immediately exit the plane (not baggage-claim!).

If I'm flying on an airline I usually can count on, I just bring the gig-bag. If I'm not sure, I pack the Bass Safe. I don't have time to change my packing plans when I get to the airport. I have had problems where, mid-itinerary, the airline does the switcheroo and lets me depart with a carry-on, but won't let me return as such! You just never know for sure...

Seriously, though. Insurance is probably a lot cheaper than you think & well worth the peace of mind!

19. get a used anvil keyboard case, I got one for sixty dollars on craigslist, fits my bass in its case inside the anvil case, and then you can check that sucka !! that is what I do.