1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My band LIKES my Hofner Club Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeYello, May 2, 2006.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    In the fall I made a deal and acquired a new Hofner Club Bass. The immediate reaction from my drummer was not very favorable when I first showed the bass to him. He didn't like the way it looked and he thought that a bass that looked like that could not possibly sound good with our band. Well after taking it to 2 rehersals both him and the guitar player do not want me to bring any other bass.

We play power pop originals and instrumental surf with a very heavy edge and it does not seem like the right bass for the job, but since I play with a pick and do a lot of muting with my right hand I can crank up the old SVT with an 8x10 cab and it sounds killer. Very defined and heavy at the same time. I am loving it because this bass weighs next to nothing and is very easy to play with the short scale and flats. It has become my favorite bass......my Laklands are very jealous!;)

At the last rehersal I brought along my Skyline Glaub with a Dark Star pup and the guys kept telling me to put it away and get out the Hofner!

I haven't read much about Hofners on this forum, but they are very cool basses and you guys should give them a try, you may be surprised.:bassist:

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Hofners sound great. plain and simple. they sit great in the mix and are as fat as fat can get. great bass.

3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Another "somebody in my band doesn't like the way my bass looks" thread.

When I get that attitude I suggest the complainer buy me the bass they think "looks right".

Hofners are extremely cool. Someday I'll add a Club bass to keep my 500/1 company.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd loooove to have one of those, congrats!

:jealous:

5. cobbster

cobbster

Sep 11, 2000
    I just bought a Club Bass about a month ago, and I love it.
    You are so right when you look at it you would't think it would sound good at all, but they are great. I know you will enjoy it as much as I do mine.

6. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Hofner was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for anyone. I especially love the violin bass.

7. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I always steared clear from the "Beatle Bass" so people wouldn't think I was a wannabe, even though I probably am.

As for my dopey drummer......he owes me a Flea Bass. I had a gold sparkle early edition one and he kept calling it the "Disco Bass". I finally sold it. I blame him often for this as that was a decent bass, although it was no Hofner.

I have the Pyrammid Flats on the bass and love them. Got to love the thump!

8. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I get requests for my Hofner live and in the studio. People like the clear and full bottom and the look of the bass. My USA Lakland Hollowbody has become my main hollowbody just because of the scale and the intonation is more exact on the Lakland.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You know the rules: no pics, no bass!

We wanna see it mate!

10. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Right on about the Club. No reason it shouldn't rule with the music you're describing. I bought my Hofner Club(I'm a Lefty) this past August on clearance at Music 123 for $1200 and love it. I had a 500/1 63 RI a couple years ago, but I love the Club Bass way better. Sounds identical to the violin bass, but I have always been partial to the looks of the Club:bassist:

11. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Hey Ben, my Club came with an aluminum bullet case, but try this place:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/hofner/main/index.html

I bought my first Hofner here. Great service. Best of luck:bassist:

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    It was good enough for Tina.

She made some of the sweetest sounds with Talking Heads.

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'd love to have a Club, beautiful basses.

14. Hell, I'd settle for the Eastwood replica.

15. joeyangel

joeyangel

Jan 12, 2008
    I bought an Eastwood after my '65 Club disintegrated (literally); it's at least 90% similar tonally, more than close enough for me in the mix.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have always wanted a Club Bass. They look great, play nice, are very light and sound killer.

17. larrycom

larrycom

Mar 20, 2003
    nyc
    If you ever want to sell it, please let me know?

Email me at june10th@verizon.net

My name is Larry.

18. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Nice! Was it a German Hofner or the Contemporary series?

19. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    I have a 68 Hofner Beatle, I prefer the way the Club feels.

20. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I love the Club.

60604_10151083266955794_790571909_n.

mikecd1 likes this.