My band needs MASSIVE help.........

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Novak913, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Novak913

Jan 7, 2004
    well I started a band with my friends back in august and since then we have been having so many problems with the band like our drummer thinks he manages the band when we all just want to play for fun and he wants the band to play "heavy emo" and I don't agree with it. I want to play punk and metal and rock. The drummer of our band thinks it's his band and we do what he says but we always argue and we haven't even came up with a name for the band yet. Were all on different experience levels. Theres three of us a guitarist a drummer and me the bassist. They wont let me strum the bass and it aggrivates me so much because they want me to pluck it when I want to strum it. I basically only get to use the bass one time out of like all the songs that we came up with. If you were in my situation with this band what would you do? because I really need some help thanks
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

To elaborate, it takes a chemistry of guys all on the same page, both musically, and personality wise. You need to be goal oriented as a BAND, not as a solo artist in a band setting. It's pretty obvious this isn't happening, and changing others minds is pretty futile IMO.

We just picked up a heck of a guitar player, and a cool guy to boot. He lives over 2 hours away.

Quit, and find guys that have a common vision of what you want to accomplish.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Based on what you have said, I would simply state to them that your musical interests do not mix, and it would be in everybody's best interests to pursure other objects.

Or walk in and say bugger off to all of them. Either way.
  4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    This band will not work out. Just quit and find a some new guys to jam with. Most of us have been in a situation similar to the one you are describing.
  5. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    Tell your friends the band isn't working...

Ask around for musicians with a similar music taste to you, even if you don't know them.

Build the band around the music, cos the chances are if you're into the same style you'll also have similar visions for the band.
  6. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    someone trying to make you do hardcore emo, right, quit.

o and tell your drummer bplayer OF DOOM (ephesize the OF DOOM part) that he is dumb.
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Give them an ultimatum. Your in this band too and deserve a say. If you can't do things you want to do as well then you may have to part ways if your uncomfortable with the decision making. That's B.S. I had a similar situation with very good friends of mine but basically I said one guy is not calling the shots and making all the calls in this band. We don't do anything unless we all agree or talk about it first. If there's nothing I hate in a band is someone dictating to everyone else, trying to tell me about music and what I should play, or what songs we should play when I am just or not more qualified. You play the bass don't let no one tell you how to play your instrument. If you want to strum the darn thing then strum it like you mean it.:bassist: What kind of music are you guys writing with no bass parts?