My band own version of SEEK & DESTROY (Metallica cover)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sLapshock, May 27, 2005.

1. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I really want to listen to this... but Real player sucks.

Host it on myspace or purevolume and i'll be happy to listen to it. :bassist:
  3. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    It's an MP3 file not ram

I liked the guitars, thought the drums were not very good for the song ... the rythmn is completely wrong.
  4. ...

It's interesting.

Those double pedals are absolutely savage, but I don't think they "fit" very well. The keys part isn't bad though! Some nice harmonies with the guitars too. I like it, but the drums throw me off a bit.
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The double bass totally screws it up...

actually, the drums pretty much suck all around IMO.
  6. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    My two cents ..

Not my kind of music, but ...

Your drummer is a talented dude, but he's working way too hard here ... he's playing stuff that's not exactly appropriate to what you're doing. In other words, he's overplaying.

Singer - barely audible, and a lot of screaming. I know that's appropriate for a lot of the metal stuff, but .... his voicing makes it hard to hear him.

Bass: hard to hear clearly, but that may be due to the recording, I don't know.

Guitars: kind of average for the genre to me.

Keys: Nice touch, and you should explore their use more.

Overall: sounds to me like you're doing things just because you can do them, but not because they fit. You might want to take another look at this and see what fits and doesn't, and adjust your arrangement appropriately. Not a bad first try, you just need to tweak it a bit.

7. DrGonzo

May 24, 2005
    covers suck. NO exceptions - unless you're some immensly famous band doing it for radio.

and even then, its totally crap and a major cop-out. at least, certainly if you're wanting people's opinion on your band. don't you have any pride?
  8. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I actually thought it was fine except for some overused snare, and the keyboards. It sounded ultra heavy.. Thumbs up on my part.

For the people who said he was over playing.. It is heavy metal. The drummer is basically the band. You can have an awesome guitar player... and an awesome bassplayer.. it doesn't mean anything if the drummer isn't any good.
  9. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    The difference between a decent musician and one who's "good" is the ability to recognize when they're overplaying.
  10. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003

That drummer....well.... he sounded like he was playing "Ultra-Doom-Speed-Death Metal Core", rather than Metallica ;)
  11. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Well ya see.. now.. Here is the thing.. The band was probably extremely heavy.. Did ya pay attention to the screams at the end. And I am pretty sure that last comment was a stab at me saying I am not a good musician. But you need to realize that the band probably comes from a genre where it is not only welcomed. But it is revered. If you want a great example of a band that is most likely in the same genre that also "overplays" check out Killswitch Enage or maybe Shadows Fall. And if you feel extra saucy check out Origin "Echo's of Decimation"

And they gain a +10 for adding that type of thing to a cover. Considering that most bands just play a covers outright and don't add what THEY would do if they wrote the song.
  12. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
  13. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    I don't think the drummer is "overdruming" one bit. It fits with your musical style completely... however i do think the drums are quite sloppy during the begining. but the song does tighten up towards the middle and ends pretty strongly. as a whole i thought it was a great rendition.

as for the original... it's not really my cup of tea, but does sound up to speed with other bands that i've heard from the same genre.
  14. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    sorry but i find that this is a butchery of a classic song, kudo's for doing your own thing with it, but the drums and vocals are so wrong for the song.
    sorry but this is just my opinion
  15. I don't know what the recording actually sounds like, but it's pretty hilarious through laptop speakers. The drums sound like somebody running through a room full of mousetraps. "click click click click" super fast. Seriously though, good job. I like that you put your own stamp on it somewhat. I would go even further in that direction, particularly making the guitar player play his own solo. The drums general "overplaying" I thought was good, but there were a few spots where the song would have been better served by him laying out or being more in line with the guitars. The singer needs to let go way more. He seems embarassed or something.
  16. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
  17. sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
  18. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, about that Final Countdown cover....

The drummer has a VERY thin, anemic and breathy voice.... it sounds like he's crying, not yelling ;).

Also, the guitars aren't tigth enough when doing the harmonies :).

Other than that, good.